Website building info

wasso

Please move the topic if it is in the wrong topic forum. thank you

I do know now how to write a html and i'm ready to to the full design and structures. BUT i do need some information before i can go a step further.

Can i work offline to build the website 100% before uploading it online for the launch?

Edited by wasso

Yes.

If you are just coding HTML, you can view the pages offline all your want without a server.

If you are coding with PHP or ASP, then you will need to install a server on your computer so you can view them offline. WAMP and XAMP for PHP.

For ASP, you can use Window XP/Vista built in IIS which you can find listed as Windows Components in the Add/Remove section of the Control Panel.

You can't run both unless you define each one it's own port setting.

If you have MS Expression Web, it will allow you to view both PHP and ASP but you will still need to install PHP files in order for php files to work.

Edited by newseed

There I would disagree, I like specific links. with the full url.

You could always use an include, on your PC with local paths and the same name on the server with full paths... it would just read whichever one is where he is at.

But do be carefull about editors doing the linking... they will use a link to your hard drive and it is then broken web side. Be sure to always use web style links, even if that means doing it by hand. Editors do not always convert them for you very well.

I like to insert my links externally with includes. The fewer nav bars the better for instance. So if I want my footer links to be the same as my global links. I can do that with on simple insert of LI's placed between hard coded UL's right?

But the relative paths will be different between index and the general pages that are in a pages folder. If I have HTML static pages mixed with dynamic pages they too may be in different folders. So for whatever the reason, different pages in different folders will have different paths and all different from the index page.

So by using full paths to each file... it does not matter where the page is in the scheme of things. I was taught relative was better, but that was 1999/2000, I gave it up a few years later as the difference is speed was laughable.

But yea, more preference, neither are really good or bad, I find full paths more flexible.

The other issue is with ecommerce stores. When you check out, it uses https in the url. While on those pages, any links that uses paths like this will send the page to https://www.domain.com/store/products.htm but it will render the 404 error because the actual url should be the standard http (without the 's').

Of course you can set redirects for those pages but then you would have to keep updating it everytime you change or add a new links.

Edited by newseed

I like to insert my links externally with includes. The fewer nav bars the better for instance. So if I want my footer links to be the same as my global links. I can do that with on simple insert of LI's placed between hard coded UL's right?

But the relative paths will be different between index and the general pages that are in a pages folder. If I have HTML static pages mixed with dynamic pages they too may be in different folders. So for whatever the reason, different pages in different folders will have different paths and all different from the index page.

What's the difference between static pages and dynamic pages??

And what Is a dynamic page and what is a static page??

sorry just got me really curious....

Very succinctly, a static page is written in html and is translated by the browser. A dynamic page uses a programming language and is first sent to a server to run the programming script then it is sent to the browser with the relevant information.

As Virtual said above, a dynamic page uses a programming language like PHP or ASP.NET, and the browser first interprets the programming logic and then displays the results in the browser. Often, a dynamic page will have access to a database which it can pull information from. It doesn't necessarily take longer to load, but the server has to process the PHP/ASP code before it displays anything in the browser. In order to view a dynamic page, you would need a server of some sort.

A static page is a bit more straight forward, since the browser doesn't have to process any PHP/ASP code.

For example, here is part of a static page, which simply displays some text:

Text here...

and here is a dynamic page, where PHP is used to display information:

<?php

$text = '

Text here...

';

echo $text;

?>

Ultimately, both do exactly the same thing, but in the second example, the server has to process the PHP, and then display the page.

oh cool i see what you are both saying now \, sweet cheers for that as it's the little things that count you spend so much time trying to figure things out and your head starts to ache lol well mine does at times i like to think i can work things out on my own but truth is half the time it just don't work that way any how thanks again