Highest Reputation Content

#34105 CSS for web developers

Posted by Andrea on 18 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

CSS will surely take more than a week time to learn, but the thing is you should be perfect in all concepts of CSS to enter into PHP development. Then only you can come to know about PHP.

I totally disagree - CSS is essential for the layout of websites, and directly connected to HTML, but has nothing to do with programming.

#51659 Site Hacking

Posted by Lita on 10 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

How do you know that your site has been hacked? What do you do if your site has been hacked? Also, what does it really mean that your site has been hacked? Just that someone has gotten into your database?

Thanks! 

xoxo

Lita

#51118 Php Form

Posted by Ben on 03 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

I'd suggest watching the "PHP and Javascript Form Validation" series. While it covers building a contact form, rather than a survey form, you'll be using the exact same approach and techniques when building your form.

#50996 New (Validating) Members - Read This!

Posted by Stefan on 26 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

Hi!

If you did not get your validation email, just email me directly at:

stefan@killersites.com

... And I will update your account so you can use the forum.

PS: remember to include your forum user ID.

Thanks,

Stefan

#45651 Mortgage Calculator

Posted by oggyswain on 15 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

Just found a great site fir this.

http://www.calculate...-calculator.php

Thanks

#43696 Hey Please I Need Some Help.....

Posted by grabenair on 07 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

I have the same problem with choosing colors. Here is where I go for help with this http://colorschemedesigner.com/ also https://kuler.adobe..../rating?time=30

These are two sites that help with color choices.

#39040 Top 5 Tools For Begginer Designer?

Posted by Eddie on 21 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

1. HTML/CSS editor like MS Expression Web or Dreamweaver or just a simple Notepad editor.

2. Firefox's Web Developer and Firebug plugin.

3. Graphics editor like Photoshop which seems to be the most common use for creating web designs but there are others that are a bit cheaper or free.

4. Need all major browsers for testing; IE, Firefox, Chrome and Safari.

5. FTP such as Filezilla for quick and easy ftp access. I use it to transfer big chunks of files.

Additional Tools I use:

6. Xenu Link Sleuth or any other link verification program. That will help find any dead or broken links.

7. Compare and Merge (or similar) that will allow you to compare and merge codes between two files.

8. A PDF creator.

9. Windows Grep. A great tool to search a keyword or phrase or code within a list or group of files. For instance, you may be using a shopping cart program call Zen Cart and you've made some custom modification to the core files. Ideally, you would add your comment to the code change as a verifiable way to see that the code is customized especially if you have tons of code changes Then maybe a year later Zen Cart has a new upgrade version and you really don't want to overwrite your custom codes and this is where Windows Grep comes in. You would download all the Zen Cart current site (customized) files to your computer and run WG to find all instances of your comment. You will then see a list of files that you have customized and there exact line number. Thereafter, this is when you use Compare and Merge program. If you have a MAC, I am sure there is such a program similar to Windows Grep.

10. Hearts or Solitaire. Helps to get your mind off problems that you are unable to resolve. After playing a few hands, the problems seems to now come with solutions. If that doesn't work, get a box of chocolate. :)

#32289 What's the differrence?

Posted by Ben on 13 May 2012 - 10:55 PM

The CC indicates that those particular videos are closed captioned -- this is helpful for those who are hard of hearing or want to watch with the volume off. Besides the closed captioning, the videos are the same.

#31433 php contact form error

Posted by grabenair on 22 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

Can not help you with your problem. But I am responding to help you with a problem you might have in the future. When naming files you should use camel casing or a dash not an underscore. Why is because sometime you might need to underline something. What is I find mostly used is the camel casing. This is starting your first word in lowercase and each word following with uppercase like this camelCasing.
There are times like your $_POST when you need to use the underscore because that is how the variable was wrote for you.

#30152 Next/Previous Table or DIV

Posted by Wickham on 25 January 2012 - 02:40 AM

It's called pagination. Google Pagination javascript.

Here's one link using jQery (a type of javascript) for client-side pagination:-
http://www.script-tu...on-with-jquery/

It can also be server-side pagination, see the discussion on whether to use client-side or server-side:-
http://java.dzone.co...er-side-or-clie

#29505 Create a forum.

Posted by Wickham on 23 December 2011 - 08:10 AM

Most poeople wouldn't try to code one from scratch, just download a whole package like phpBB3
http://www.phpbb.com/
Run it to install, then use the admin menus to set up boards, permissions and any other edits that you want. I changed to background-image on mine, I had to search a lot of files to find the default one, but coding edits should be as few as possible or you will risk affecting the performance, just use the admin menus from the admin control panel.

There are different skins or themes available. These seem to be coded by other people but I assume that phpBB approve them.
http://www.phpbb.com/styles/

Some people use Wordpress http://wordpress.org/ which is blog software but you can make a forum from it.

#26997 Beginners Questions

Posted by Ben on 03 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

Are you saying that I don't even have to put the fields in the form, but just add the code into the php that captures the rest of the variables from the form?

If I am understanding what you are trying to do correctly, yes. If you are simply trying to get the current date/time to add to the database, there's no reason that needs to be added as a hidden field in the form. You can do that after you have validated the form (so you know all the form values are valid and the form has been submitted successfully) but just before you update the database.

Also, keep in mind that MySQL has some time functions built in. It's possible you could use the NOW() function to get the current time, rather than having to do that with PHP. http://www.tizag.com.../mysql-time.php However, I'm not sure how that would affect your timezone issue, so you'd need to experiment. It's also possible that MySQL has a function similar to date_default_timezone_set(), but I'd have to do some research and check. At this point though, if what you have is working, you may not want to mess with it.

#26905 Beginners Questions

Posted by Ben on 01 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

The project files are there as a reference. They contain the completed code from the videos, so if you want to compare your code against mine, or want to be able to look at the code without watching the videos, you can. I usually create a zip of the code after the series is complete, or after every major revision if I record a couple videos at a time. For example, you should have a couple different project code files:

Simple PHP Login System Source Files (Parts 1-7)
Simple PHP Login System Source Files (Parts 8-9)
Simple PHP Login System Source Files (Parts 10-16)
Simple PHP Login System Source Files (Parts 17-18)

In this case, I did that because I recorded the series in a couple different sections and added to it later. I don't want users to have to view the entire video series to view the source code.

#26883 Beginners Questions

Posted by Ben on 31 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

I'm not seeing any attachment, but I'm seeing an incorrect spelling here:

if($_POST['usernmae'] == '' || $_POST['password'] == '')

That isn't necessarily the issue (I can't see the error message you are getting) but that's the first thing I would fix.

Seems to me like a lot of your current mistakes come down to misspellings, forgetting a character or adding in an unnecessary character... perhaps you'd be better off putting the project aside for five minutes and coming back to it with fresh eyes, rather than posting to the forum immediately? I'm happy to help, but you should be able to catch these sort of errors yourself. Hopefully the more you work with PHP, the easier it will be to spot these sort of things.

#26834 Beginners Questions

Posted by Ben on 28 July 2011 - 08:06 PM

Error in your CSS:

background" #feff96;
Note the quotation mark.

#24885 Call a controller function from view

Posted by Nedyc on 09 April 2011 - 03:15 AM

Your way is 1000x smarter than mine :D
Thanks a lot!!!

Andrea :)

#24150 Object orienteted css and learning as a noob.

Posted by BeeDev on 09 March 2011 - 10:44 AM

You're on the right track, she's talking mostly about re-using classes, and fully exploiting the CSS Specificity so that you don't have to write CSS styling for many different blocks that look similar.

If you think about it in object oriented view then you first declare a main class:

.block { display: block; font-family: 'Arial'; font-size: 1em; }

which will define properties for all elements with class 'block'. But these will be really general things that will be SAME for all elements using this class. However after this you can start getting a bit more specific (effectively 'expanding' the main class):

div.block { border: 1px solid #000000; }
p.block { margin: 12px 0; }
span.block { float: left; }

If you didn't do the above in an object oriented approach, then you'd have:

div.block { border: 1px solid #000000; display: block; font-family: 'Arial'; font-size: 1em; }
p.block { margin: 12px 0; display: block; font-family: 'Arial'; font-size: 1em; }
span.block { float: left; display: block; font-family: 'Arial'; font-size: 1em; }

Effectively increasing the size of your CSS document by repeating the same properties over and over on different scenarios.

This method she's talking about is probably the best way to write CSS, however this requires a lot of planning, and also a lot of forward thinking. However you should also remember that not everybody has the luxury of time or luxury of not using !important or ID's to write this kind of "efficient" CSS. Sometimes it's best to just bung-out some inefficient CSS, rather than spending hours trying to plan what elements should have what class, and what type of specific CSS should be written etc... I'd say this kind of CSS optimization is most useful for websites that get thousands of hits per day, as each byte you save will be multiplied by thousands. If you save 1 kbyte per user on a website that gets 10 thousand hits per day then you effectively save 10 thousand kilobytes of bandwidth a day which is around 10megabytes. But if your site gets less than 100 visitors per day, you're only saving 100kb of bandwidth per day which is really insignificant.

I'd say for now, don't worry about this kind of thing, just try to get CSS under your belt, so you're comfortable to hand-write any type of website using pure CSS and semantical HTML. Then you can probably start worrying about optimization etc. And also remember that CSS is only a teeny weeny part of a website, and there's a lot bigger things that you can optimize and get much better results, such as optimizing images, gzipping the scripts and css documents, setting proper caching rules etc.

Good luck :rolleyes:

#22125 Image Gallery

Posted by virtual on 11 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

Have you tried Googling for jquery.colorbox ? That is what the site is using.

#21830 Total beginner - where to start?

Posted by Andrea on 30 December 2010 - 08:30 AM

Here are some basics - a bit of detail cannot be avoided: http://www.how-to-bu...m/lessonOne.php

#181 Where can I learn Web Design?

Posted by LSW on 21 December 2008 - 09:22 PM

We get all sorts of variations to this question and I am sort of tired of repeating myself so it's Sticky time. To begin are links from myself and falkencreative. Feel free to post here or IM any other links you think should be added. This way we do not have to repeat the answers all the time.

KillerSites Network

Combined technology training

HTML

CSS

PHP

Real Classes ($$)
  • ITT-Tech
    I was signed on to get an Associates Degree in Web Development with ITT, I was impressed by the course and it teaches real world design based on what employers today want and not "Ivory Tower - we think this is what you need" classes. Alas I had to decided between school and a paying job... so off to Alaska where there is no ITT no no degree.
  • Webucator
    Not cheap, I have taken some of these online courses for my job and they are very good. They are worth considering.

★★★★★ 5 Star Rated Web Developer Course - check it out now!