Creating my Own Search Engine for my website

ten77

Hello, new member, first post. I will try not to be a Help Vampire.

I did some searching and didn't find what I was looking for, so here is my post, if this has already been covered please direct me to where I missed it.

What I am trying to do is build a business directory for my home town.

The way I want to manage it is by keywords, where buinesses choose what keywords describe their business.

Then when someone comes to the website and wants to search for a business, lets say Pizza Delivery, they would input pizza delivery in the search box, I want all the businesses that have pizza, delivery, pizza delivery, keywords to come up.

My first choice was simple to use google, and have a google custom search on my site... I set that all up (it is set up on there now, http://www.havread.com/bd/index.html ).

However, I am at the mercy of google when it will crawl my website. This wont work for me, I dont want new businesses listed to have to wait weeks for their entry to show up.

So what I want to do is build my own search engine on my site, that searches for keywords.

I have done some searchs on google to find premade code and I am striking out.

So here I am.

Does anybody know some great help or how to's to teach me how to build my own search engine for my site.

I would prefer PHP and MySQL to use. But I am open to just about anything.

I am a fast learner, so please shoot me some help!

I am sure there are some free or pay scripts out there, do a search for script libraries.

Other than that, Stef - who runs Killersites, started a developer directory. Not sure if he wrote it or used a third party program. Wait and see what he says or PM admin and ask directly. It sounds like about what you would want.

Thanks, I sent the Admin a PM, I can't wait to hear from him or anybody else, Did that search, is there anything else I can add to the search other than script libraries to help narrow it down?

Edited by ten77

Not that I can really think of, I think best is to wait for Stef.

Any luck with search scripts? I don't even know what script libraries are out there any more as we do all our development in house, that is why I did not give links.

Sphider is working great!

You can see it in action on my site:

http://www.havread.com/se10/

So far the only thing you can find in searches are:

Website Design, Website Hosting, Branded Email, Domain Name Registration, E-Commerce

Take a look and let me know what you think...

I am still working on the results page to get it to look custom for my site.

I am open for input, also if anyone else needs help with adding Sphider let me know...