Should I start from scratch?

daquess

I'm not trying to "bleed" anyone dry, but I've learned more from this site than any tutorial site ever. So with all of the tutorials, "why am I posting in Web Designing?".

1. I first began learning html with the version 3.2.... (not surprised if everyone's saying 'Eww')

2. While I still learn a lot daily, tutorials don't answer the questions I don't understand.

and

3. I'm still a noobie with designing.

Here's a sample page from my site, which I built myself a few years ago, but now I'm incorporating some of my newly acquired knowledge.

http://set-n-art.com/Services.html

sorry you can't right click to view source, but view up top works fine.

After you see, should I just start from scratch, or leave it alone and deal with it?

I still don't know how to layout pages without tables, nor how to properly use the div tags. This is after many, many hours of tutorials that don't explain what I don't get. All html for the page I made in note book, then put on web, then fixed, then forced in div tags, and adjusted until this result.

Edited by daquess

Can anyone tell me a better tutorial for css? I've search "many moons"(lol) and

choosing styles for font - easy

links/backgrounds/colors - not a problem

but making tables with that..,

how is that even possible???

Please help me find where I can learn what the "cascading" part of css is.

if thats where tables are created.

and of course HOW TO USE IT. Thanks in advance

Edited by daquess

I agree with newseed - I would just leave the old one alone and start fresh on a new design. One comment...I would not focus on how to make tables, but rather how to use CSS divs. We are here to help if you have any specific questions. :)

Just think of divs as boxes that you place on your site. The fun is trying to fit all the boxes together to make a pleasing layout. Here is where you might start:

Content goes here

Then you would just use CSS to position those divs. For example (and these are VERY general):

#container {

width: 850px;

margin: 20px auto;

}

#header {

width:830px;

margin: 0 auto;

}

#navigation {

width: 830px;

height: 40px;

margin: 10px auto;

}

#content {

}

#footer {

}

When I was learning, it always helped me to see things typed out. Let us know what questions you have!

Tables should only be used for tabular data, then you just style it with CSS, not make it.

Think of a tackle box, or tool box, you know the segregated ones? That is like tables, rigid compartments you can only modify slightly and are always aligned horizontally.

Divs are like an empty box, you can add many more divs or other elements into it as you please and move them around freely with only each other or the outer walls as limitations. You can put items in exactly the pixel position as you want, which is difficult if not impossible with tables.

You can always stay with a look, but I prefer starting from scratch rather than trying to change code. Just do it right rather than mucking around with mistakes.

• 1 month later...

You guys have helped me so much, you don't even know. I'm working on this site at it will be spectacular. probably coming this summer. To practice css I built the uPressed website, and I'm starting set-n-art's new site now. I did use dreamweaver for uPressed, but set-n-art will be from scratch. Just wanted to say thanks for the help and I'll repost if I can't figure something out or finish without a problem.

Tables should only be used for tabular data, then you just style it with CSS, not make it.

Think of a tackle box, or tool box, you know the segregated ones? That is like tables, rigid compartments you can only modify slightly and are always aligned horizontally.

Divs are like an empty box, you can add many more divs or other elements into it as you please and move them around freely with only each other or the outer walls as limitations. You can put items in exactly the pixel position as you want, which is difficult if not impossible with tables.

You can always stay with a look, but I prefer starting from scratch rather than trying to change code. Just do it right rather than mucking around with mistakes.

That was one of the best explinations I have heard of for tables and Divs.