HTML errors

emz

i put my url into a html checker and it came up with a lot of errors about 30 or so. I have no idea what these errors mean and when i try to change them IE one says ?2" height="36" vspace="0" hspace="10"> it messes up my page. Is there a program i can use to change these for me? It dont have to be free i dont mind spending a small ammount of ?? and am i better off using a different HTML editor? currently using dreamweaver Thanks in advance

thanks for your quick reply the site is w ww. bodnem . karoo . net this is my personal page just to share pics and info with friends and alike.

You need to change your doctype to at least HTML 4.01 Transitional.

Most of your errors is due the flash code. The rest are simply missing alt tags for images, inproper script tag type, certain inline styles, etc.

Since it's a personal site...is there any reason why you want it to validate?

There are no software that fixes for you. Just need to learn the code and fix them yourself.

Wow man, using your navigation on the buttons makes a new page pop up everytime for me. That's not exactly 'fast' surfing and is going to drive a lot of people away with having to go to a new tab (or button for older ie users) everytime.

Other then that it doesnt seem to pass on a markup validation..

43 Errors, 1 warning(s) http://validator.w3.org/

But that's okay because neither does my website.

For me and a friend i have been asking to check my site to see what they think so far there is only one button that makes a new window pop up. we are both using the latest IE so maybe it makes them all open new windows on other browers? And it may only be a personal site but i want it to have as few errors as i can get it.

to "myDownfall":

When it's a website for myself, yeah.

not it is not especially if you hang around web design forum and ask for help.

Please read this thread for further explanation.

to moderators:

can you make a thread "Why should I validate" sticky in Beginners forums (thought it was already sticky with this title somewhere but cannot find it now).

Edited by lm

I have a website and when I use http://www.validator.w3.org/ to check it, it says I have about 160 errors or something like that. I have no idea what these errors mean or how to fix them. Can someone please help me because I'm hurting my search engine ranking by having all of these errors (that's what I've heard anyways). Or if you can't help me, can you tell me what I should do to get help please? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I have a website and when I use http://www.validator.w3.org/ to check it, it says I have about 160 errors or something like that. I have no idea what these errors mean or how to fix them. Can someone please help me because I'm hurting my search engine ranking by having all of these errors (that's what I've heard anyways). Or if you can't help me, can you tell me what I should do to get help please? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

How about you start a new topic on this (better than hijacking this topic) and include the URL to your site. Most of the errors that the validator generates should be pretty self explanatory, and we should be able to help you with the ones that aren't.