Stefan

PicnicTutorials

I think it may behove you to reinstate singnatures. Or you tell me. Why are most of the old members gone now, and no new ones signing up. This place is great, but to be honest, it's a little borring lately. The only questions/discussions/etc, are irritateing questions like "how do I link to my css". Those aren't going to keep the regulars coming back for more. Not me anyways.

this is what forums for beginners in web design for:

to answer the questions of people who are just start with web design.

how do I link to my css

Is just one of the standard questions they ask. Got bored? Move on, learn more. If you want challenge staying here in forum, be creative or look for inspiration elsewhere.

You really think reinstating the signatures will bring more challenging questions and is the reason some people haven't been around?

no I don't think it will bring more challenging questions. But I do think it will bring more experienced people, and that will bring a wider variety of questions.

Self promotion (profit) is the driving force behind most. Like I said, then you tell me the reason?

What were the signatures you are referring to? I arrived in the new forum so I never saw that function.

"Duh," says she, with a sudden flash of insight after reading properly instead of skimming through the posts, that would probably be a link to our personal site for self promotion purposes. :cool::cool:

Edited by virtual

On our old forum setup, we were allowed to have signatures. I admit it was nice to have, but I think Stef decided to disable them here was because so many spammers were posting just to put their links out there.

signitures should be no follow. So they really only behove (promote) people that post regularly. This forum exists to help people. But, primarily, it exists to bring traffic to KS. So, here is how it should work. We help do Stephans dirty work (contstantly helping others), and we, in return, get to promote "our" intersests with each answer. Yes we also do it to return the favor bla - bla bla. Reminds me of the saying, "you wash my back, and I wash yours".

I think Stef decided to disable them here was because so many spammers were posting just to put their links out there.

That is one of the main reasons why .. we got a lot of spammers on the old forum from what I recall. Regarding the signature, all one has to do to learn about you, is to click on your profile name.

And yes, I do appreciate everyone participating.

Stef

Maybe, since there now are several more moderators than we had on the old forum, keeping the sigs clean may not be a problem. And if wherever the signatures are entered it's clearly spelled out that self-promoting links are not allowed unless you have 50 or maybe 100 posts?

Might be worth a try, and if it doesn't work, signatures can always be disabled again.

I suggested 1000 posts, but it seems my post disappeared. Or maybe it was that dratted 3 minute wait between posts and I went away and forgot to repost it....Oh and here we go again.

7.30pm in Tenerife, I'll go make myself a sundowner while I wait the required time.

I will look into modifying the forum to allow advanced members the ability to have a signature. In principle, I have no issues with them, it just used to piss me off having to delete the spammers all the time.

... Of course this new forum makes it MUCH easier to zap people. Please give me a week or two to get to this as I am working on something major that is taking up much of my time.

Stefan

Or even if the number of posts was lower than 1000.

Most Spammers don't hang around to reach 10 posts just to plant a Spam Siggy.

I Moderate a Forum with in excess of 60,000 members and we allow signatures for all members but don't allow Spammy Sigs. No problems. The Mods simply replace them with a message that their sig has been removed. Done.

I think minimum of 100 post should suffice. I mean, spammers just do not hang around that long. In addition, active users will have no problem reaching 100 post limit. Active users is what we like to see because not only will they be asking questions but more than likely will participate in problem solving.

I think minimum of 100 post should suffice. I mean, spammers just do not hang around that long. In addition, active users will have no problem reaching 100 post limit. Active users is what we like to see because not only will they be asking questions but more than likely will participate in problem solving.

We can work out the exact post count when the mod is created.

Thanks for the input.

Stefan

Thank you kind Sir, and no I'm not still waiting, but it is sunset so I will soon be making the sundowner.....LOL

I haven't run into the problem today, but then there haven't been many posts so far. I am 8 hours ahead of most people, so I start hitting that problem later on in the evening (for me)

Edited by virtual