Design / Coding Quotes

falkencreative

In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away, when a body has been stripped down to its nakedness.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery, "Wind Sand and Stars" Trans. Lewis Galantiere. New York: Harcourt Inc. 1967

(he was talking however about Aircraft design, but still works for me.)

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

(It is not just about pointing out references and telling them how to build web sites, it is about making them long to build the best and most accessible web site they can.)

The one thing that matters is the effort.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

&

The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

&

To be a man is... to be responsible. It is to feel shame at the sight of what seems to be unmerited misery. It is to take pride in a victory won by one's comrades. It is to feel, when setting one's stone, that one is contributing to the building of the world.

(I like these for web accessibility)

Transport of the mails, transport of the human voice, transport of flickering pictures-in this century as in others our highest accomplishments still have the single aim of bringing men together.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

True happiness comes from the joy of deeds well done, the zest of creating things new.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away, when a body has been stripped down to its nakedness.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery, "Wind Sand and Stars" Trans. Lewis Galantiere. New York: Harcourt Inc. 1967

I've seen this one (or variations of it), but I hadn't seen anything else by him. Thanks! My redesigned website uses a design/development related quote on every page, so I was looking for inspiration.

http://www.quotesondesign.com was pretty useful too.

That is the original quote word for word, but actually cut out of the whole theme.

And now, having spoken of the men born of the pilot's craft, I shall say something about the tool with which they work, the airplane Have you ever looked at a modern airplane? Have you followed from year to year the evolution of its lines? Have you ever thought, not only about the airplane, but about whatever man builds, that all of man's industrial efforts, all his computations and calculations, all the nights spent over working draughts and blueprints, invariably culminate in the production of a thing whose sole and guiding principle is the ultimate principle of simplicity?

It is as if there were a natural law which ordained that to achieve this end, to refine the curve of a piece of furniture, or a ship's keel, or the fuselage of an airplane, until gradually it partakes of the elementary purity of the curve of a human breast or shoulder, there must be the experimentation of several generations of craftsmen. In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away, when a body has been stripped down to its nakedness.

de St. Exupery, Antoine. Wind Sand and Stars. Trans. Lewis Galantiere. New York: Harcourt Inc. 1967

The first casualty of war is the plan you intended to follow.

The enemy never does what you want them too so you have to modify even the best plans to meet the circumstances. Same with web design. The best planned web site will change in the process of creating the site.

Some of quotes are indeed from the forum ( as of "all_jelly_no_toast" and few others). I thought that it would be a pity if they get lost. At one point they (together with the cup of coffee) made my day :lol:

And I would support the idea of Killersites collection if we will vote on it.