Had to put my foot down

Susie

Today I've had an existing client and a potential client try to back me into the corner about when I can get to their websites. I have politely let them know when I'm available and it seems they won't take no for an answer. One even let me know that he will forward the changes to me this weekend so I can get them done sooner rather than later. :rolleyes:

Fellow freelancers, how many clients do you have and are you accepting new ones? Is there a point where we should draw the line and say, "I'll only have X number of clients."?

Personally, I don't think I want to limit the number of clients I serve because individually they do not give me enough work to keep me busy all week, all month. Know what I mean?

How do you guys handle new websites vs. website maintenance? Do you double up? For example, you might have a 2 week period devoted to developing a new website for a new client, and the next 8 weeks are filled with more of the same. But then an existing client needs some maintenance work done. How do you do it?

I'm actually in the process of doing just that while I'm redeveloping/restructuring my website.

Don't put any kind of pricing on your website. It will limit you to certain clients seeking a fixed price regardless how extensive the project is.

If you do restructure your pricing for any categories (maint, installation, design, etc), as a courtesy, be sure to notify all your existing clients preferably with a 30 day notice or a effective date.

Don't put any kind of pricing on your website. It will limit you to certain clients seeking a fixed price regardless how extensive the project is.

What is your opinion about putting prices as "Starting from..." For example, Ecommerce websites start from $xxx ?

If you do restructure your pricing for any categories (maint, installation, design, etc), as a courtesy, be sure to notify all your existing clients preferably with a 30 day notice or a effective date.

Good point. Though I haven't really raised rates on current clients yet (as in, ever). I have just kept them where they are and then charged new clients the new rates.

What is your opinion about putting prices as "Starting from..." For example, Ecommerce websites start from $xxx ?

I prefer not to but if you want to set the tone of what the minimum should be then set that amount high enough so that you ween out the ones that are looking for professional development at a walmart price. Reason I suggest that is because I know you are swamped with work and so you don't have to sell yourself cheap anymore. Read very closely Susie, you are a professional web designer!!

Good point. Though I haven't really raised rates on current clients yet (as in, ever). I have just kept them where they are and then charged new clients the new rates.

Even current clients expect rates to go up. Besides, if you charge one rate for one client and another rate for a different client then another for another, etc. etc. then you will have to keep track of who gets charged what at the rate you gave them.

Believe me, your mind will thank you when you simplify your rates and make it effective for all your clients. Of course that is only my opinion. :)

Edited by newseed

I prefer not to but if you want to set the tone of what the minimum should be then set that amount high enough so that you ween out the ones that are looking for professional development at a walmart price. Reason I suggest that is because I know you are swamped with work and so you don't have to sell yourself cheap anymore. Read very closely Susie, you are a professional web designer!!

Thanks, Eddie. :) And I am considering not publishing any prices at all instead of my original thought of "Starting from..." It does seem like when the prices are not published, I get a lot more inquiries than when they are.

Even current clients expect rates to go up. Besides, if you charge one rate for one client and another rate for a different client then another for another, etc. etc. then you will have to keep track of who gets charged what at the rate you gave them.

Believe me, your mind will thank you when you simplify your rates and make it effective for all your clients. Of course that is only my opinion. :)

It may be only your opinion, but it makes sense.

Thanks for your input!