First timer having issues with IE.

pmiller

http://www.southernohit.com/contact.html

This is the page I am having the most issues with right now. I can not for the life of me get the form2mailer to work in IE. It gives me an error on the line with the submit button, line 262.

Also, my css menus look terrible in IE. Is there a way to fix this? Am I just doing it wrong? Can we please replace IE with Firefox so this issue goes away? :(

I assume IE just doesn't understand CSS?

Have you tried using a submit button that has the type of "submit", rather than "button"? Not sure if that will make a difference, but you may want to try that.

I don't have the time to look at the CSS issue at the moment, but it looks like it is a problem primarily in IE6 -- IE7 looks very similar to Firefox. It isn't that IE "doesn't understand" CSS, but it just interprets things differently sometimes. Microsoft doesn't really have a good track record when it comes to supporting web standards, unfortunately.

And, an unrelated note, the big power symbol in the middle of each page makes it very difficult to read whatever text is on the page. It is very distracting, and reduces the usability -- the blue is just too bright.

Have you tried using a submit button that has the type of "submit", rather than "button"? Not sure if that will make a difference, but you may want to try that.

I don't have the time to look at the CSS issue at the moment, but it looks like it is a problem primarily in IE6 -- IE7 looks very similar to Firefox. It isn't that IE "doesn't understand" CSS, but it just interprets things differently sometimes. Microsoft doesn't really have a good track record when it comes to supporting web standards, unfortunately.

And, an unrelated note, the big power symbol in the middle of each page makes it very difficult to read whatever text is on the page. It is very distracting, and reduces the usability -- the blue is just too bright.

I agree 100% with the background thing. We are actually in the process of moving it now. I don't quiet know where its going, but it is definitely moving out of the middle div area. I was thinking up in the header area, maybe upper left hand corner type deal that maybe bleeds over the containing div into the background, but still working on that image.

Some on another forum just asked about that same button. When I change it to submit it tries to download the php file instead of run its process in IE, and in firefox it redirects you to the php file and shows the text on the screen. I dunno maybe that form I am using is just wrong? The html I got for it was from a free form2mail I got form google. =/

Can we please replace IE with Firefox so this issue goes away? :(

Well you figured that much out, so your not a beginner anymore, that knowledge makes you intermediate.

IE6 actually does OK with so so, just worse than the others and the developers will still trying to make the M$ way the standard way. By IE7 they finally gave up and accepted the standards way... sort of. IE 8 is better. But as long as people still use XP and below we are stuck with it like a zombie that will not die. IE7 is only available for XP SP1 and above.

Are you sure that your server supports PHP? That is my first initial thought -- the page shouldn't display/ask you to download a PHP file otherwise. Are you using a linux based server or a windows based server?

We are using a linux based server right now, and to my best knowledge it support the php.

If I leave my code as it, and hit the submit button in firefox the mailer works fine, but in IE it gives me "Error: Object doesn't support this action".

It only does the weird things if I change it to type="submit". I can upload to the live page if you would like to see what it is doing when I change the type for yourself.

Can we please replace IE with Firefox so this issue goes away? :(

Well you figured that much out, so your not a beginner anymore, that knowledge makes you intermediate.

IE6 actually does OK with so so, just worse than the others and the developers will still trying to make the M$ way the standard way. By IE7 they finally gave up and accepted the standards way... sort of. IE 8 is better. But as long as people still use XP and below we are stuck with it like a zombie that will not die. IE7 is only available for XP SP1 and above.

:lol:Yay me... I think. :D

It is good to hear that the newer version of IE will be better. I noticed IE7 keeps the formating of my lists I made into menus.. kinda. They just don't mouse over, hover I guess doesn't work so well in IE7?, very well. As much I hate it, I do want to be able to have my site viewed by IE as it is in Firefox ... to a point.

Can I like I dunno, have a separate css page that loads when the user is using IEx where x = the version they use? Or totally different page?

I went ahead and just removed the JavaScript from the contact page and that cleaned everything up. It redirects now instead doing the checking on the page =(, but it works. Ill have to figure out how to just make the php do it on the page instead of redirecting.

However I ran into another problem. Apparently my page was "too big" according to some of the people I've had look at it. It seems 800x600 screen resolution isn't as dead as some would lead you to believe. http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp say 4% are running it, I guess 4% of it lives around me. Or have seen my various forum posts be it here or any other of the forums I use.

So I went about making the page with %'s instead of pixels and it more or less fixed that issue. I assume I can't scan a persons computer while the connect and just load a different css for each resolution? Eh it works ok with %. The only issues I see with it is in IE *of course its IE why wouldn't it have a problem* when I rescale the browser left and right the UL menu I made does odd things.

And finally when I open my contact page with IE now, it complains about script/activeX. Which I find very odd, it didn't do this when I was actually using javascript but it is now that I've removed it? Do I have some inline script like "OnClick" going on I am just not seeing?