single page, framed site?

AndaleTheGreat

Frames are not recommended for several reasons, one being that search engines can't read the file in the frame because it's a separate html page, but you can solve your music problem with one or two frames.

If you put the music file in the frameset file and have just one frame with links targetted to that frame, music will play but because you cannot have anything display from a frameset file, you won't be able to have a controller.

You can put the music file with a controller in a small top frame and have content in a lower frame with all links targetted to that frame, so that the controller and music don't change.

PHP can probably do the same thing and might be a better solution.

Hi, ( Im a beginner ) if we have a non-frameset home page , say a welcome page index.html which opens up a frameset website by clicking on a link to enter, Will that be a solution to by pass the problem of search engines which might then look at the index.html page first? and miss the frame?

Hi, ( Im a beginner ) if we have a non-frameset home page , say a welcome page index.html which opens up a frameset website by clicking on a link to enter, Will that be a solution to by pass the problem of search engines which might then look at the index.html page first? and miss the frame?

If your site is in frames then you will need to take it out of frames. With frames, the only pages that your site will get indexed is the index.html (as you mentioned above) and the initial default frame page when you enter into a frame site.

Frames are like multiple windows in the browser and the only page that gets indexed is the root frame that puts it all together. Go ahead and click on a few of your links and look at the url in the address bar of your browser and see if it changes to reflect the pages your are viewing.

Server Side Includes is not like that. It will put your header/footer or whatever includes you want to use together with each of your content pages.

Frames are outdated, cheesy retro 90's nightmares. They have been dropped and have no place in modern web design. Use a different solution as mentioned here. They are also problematic for people with disabilities.

I would also strongly warn against music. Again it is cheesy and reto 90's.

It can overplay the voice reading the site to blind users.

It can be irritating.

Most people surf with either no music, hence no speakers to hear it, or are listening to their own chosen music... which will get over played so to music files are playing making a mess. Add to that that odds are some, if not most visitors will not like "your" choice of music. If it is not "Your" own original music... there is a chance for copyright infringement or the host dropping the site so as to avoid a court case. If it is Midi...that is is not an issue... but the irritation factor increase through the roof. Most people will abandon sites playing music post haste if music slams into them overplaying theirs. I sure do.

If she still wants music after all this... be sure that it is optional... not auto play, offer the user a chance to choose to turn it on... or at a barest minimum you have to give them the ability to turn it off in a hurry, make it obvious to them.

Here is a snippet from my site.

If your like me, now's about the time where you say to yourself, "hey, I just noticed, the song starts over on each page as I navigate from page to page throughout my site". That's an unfortunate drawback to adding music to your site. Although, there are ways to remedy this! However, to me, none were worth the price of admission! Instead of making you Google for hours (or days like I did) I'll just give you all the different options you have to enable your music to play continuously throughout your site. Your options are as follows in no particular order.

1) Your home page window stays open at all times (this page holds the equalizer), and all other navigation happens (via JS) in a newly opened window (only one extra window). Drawbacks to this method are your forcing a new window on the user and possibly confusing them. And you can only have the equalizer on one page. The extra window I could of "maybe" excepted, but only having the equalizer on one page - well thats no good!

2) You build your site with frames. And no, contrary to what Google will tell you, an iframe will not work - iframes reload! Most sites you see with continuous music being played on their site are built using frames. Of course the obvious drawback is, your site is built with frames! Just Google frames - there are a hundred reasons why they're considered bad. To me it wasn't worth fubaring my beautiful code!

3) A popup window (via JS) holds your equalizer. This was possibly a viable solution for me as well, but then the equalizer isn't integrated all nicely into the site. It's sitting in a seperate window all on it's own. Drawbacks to this are, it's not nearly as "clean" looking!

4) And your final option (that I'm aware of at least) is to do it with PHP. This is your "best" option, if that is, you can figure out how to do it and put it all together. Here is the link to the forum thread (I'm "ewwatson") where the PHP solution was given (FYI "billyboys" post, 3rd from the bottom). I won't lie, this option, at least for the time being, was a little over my head. However, I "probably" could have made it work, but in doing so, I would of had to recode my whole website - I didn't want to do that! It was too perfect just the way it was!