TALK ABOUT THE new Forum!

administrator

If you're getting errors, can you PM me any error messages and let me know what browser you are using so I can take a look? As far as I know, I haven't gotten any complaints from others about being unable to edit their profile...

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I know one or two people commented with issues on the "Killersites Side Menu" skin. Which skin are you using? If you are using the Side Menu skin, have you tried switching to the Top menu skin? That may help. To switch skins, change the skin dropdown in the lower left corner of the site.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks there falkencreative. Everything now works as it should. B)

I'm going to try and look for things that might be of help while I figure out how I'm going to get stuck into all this gobble-de-gook once more.

My best bet is to leave php on the back burner so that I can concentrate on things that I'm more likely to understand.

Even though css is relatively easy to work with it can take a fair amount of work to get to understand the mechanics of it. Peeps like yourself, Eric, Shelfimage, and well, most folks on here have that deep understanding that I've always lacked. So that's what I'm going to aim for -- all the tutorials on these web pages and anything else that I find relevant, and then to organise them into some meaningful order. Or, something like that. :D

Funny, but someone at work, who is into writing code for games, asked me what html was all about. I have this analogy which I use on the one or two occasions that people have asked what this 'html' is all about...

Html, is like the bare Christmas tree; it has no decorations on it that will turn an admiring eye. In order to decorate this 'html Christmas tree' we would have to use 'css' so that we can present our tree with all its splendid bells, ribbons, baubles, and whatever. Of course, a Christmas tree without lights is a tad bit too boring. So, if we wanted to make our tree a bit more dynamic we'd have to use something like 'flash' or 'javascript'. Or better still, something called, 'jQuery', a library of javascript, where all the tools for learning it is right inside you with your already gained knowledge of css.

At this point it can get a bit complicated trying to explain anything beyond the likes of html, css, and jQuery. So, I just leave the Christmas tree analogy and focus on sharing stuff between lots of people server-side using something like php, which you wouldn't be able to do in a client-side environment.

Html, is like the bare Christmas tree; it has no decorations on it that will turn an admiring eye. In order to decorate this 'html Christmas tree' we would have to use 'css' so that we can present our tree with all its splendid bells, ribbons, baubles, and whatever. Of course, a Christmas tree without lights is a tad bit too boring. So, if we wanted to make our tree a bit more dynamic we'd have to use something like 'flash' or 'javascript'. Or better still, something called, 'jQuery', a library of javascript, where all the tools for learning it is right inside you with your already gained knowledge of css.

Sounds about right. Keep in mind that jQuery is technically Javascript... it's just a library that adds some additional functionality.

To extend your example... Server side languages like PHP, ASP.NET, etc help by giving the programmer the power to make the site functional -- user logins, password protection, file uploading, getting data from a database, etc. So maybe PHP would give your Christmas tree the ability to put up the lights before Christmas and take them down after? :P