Designing Freelance Business

yeokianhwee

I just watched the video 'Is Freelancing just Trading one Boss for Many?'  I agree with the strategy that "Its far better to have 100 small clients rather than a couple of big ones". I like to kickstart some discussion here to discuss about how should we go about it implement this strategy to build a stable freelance business.

My first thought on this topic is that we should target small business that require to change their website regularly(e.g. restaurant, florist, mobile shop).

• Upvote 1

I think the main issue is identifying business that will pay for their websites to be updated regularly. And what services you have to offer.

Not saying websites aren't important. But we live in an era of social media, Facebook, Yelp, Instagram, Twitter etc.

Many businesses seem to value those services ahead of a website.

If you had a restaurant/florist/mobile shop, would you pay someone to update your website every 3/6 months?

I think it's a lot more tricky.

6 hours ago, MNS45 said:

I think the main issue is identifying business that will pay for their websites to be updated regularly. And what services you have to offer.

Not saying websites aren't important. But we live in an era of social media, Facebook, Yelp, Instagram, Twitter etc.

Many businesses seem to value those services ahead of a website.

If you had a restaurant/florist/mobile shop, would you pay someone to update your website every 3/6 months?

I think it's a lot more tricky.

You were right, I talked to few of my self employed friend and they all have a simple website introducing their business and most of their marketing were done on Facebook.

If I looking from business point of view, I think we as problem solver will need to know online marketing too to provide more value to business owner?

21 hours ago, yeokianhwee said:

If I looking from business point of view, I think we as problem solver will need to know online marketing too to provide more value to business owner?

I think so.

I don't know how many visitors restaurants/florist/mobile shops they receive on their websites. But I get the impression it's low.

I think most businesses would pay for exposure. At least the ones you mentioned.