Convert Access database to MySQL?

boston

I know that supposedly it is possible to convert Access databases to MySQL, but is it a good idea? I already know Access, so I'm thinking this could potentially save me a lot of time, as otherwise I have to learn MySQL from scratch.

My end goal is to create a website with a section that has a user-searchable database.

Any opinions?

Yes it is a good idea. Access is very questionable as a database, especially for any type of web apps. The State of Alaska Retirement section used Access years ago and had nothing but problems so I and my section are now having to rewrite everything done in Access... only in our case going over to Oracle.

To be honest, I have never tried it with MySQL but the process is more or less the same. You will need to test it out on a test server, just install it on your PC.

With our Oracle tools we usually import the access file directly in. MySQL being a freeware thing may or may not support that.

I would export the Access Database complete with the structure into 1 Access file and 1 comma delimited text file. Then try importing one of those, one or the other should work.

My opinion, you would do better with MySQL than Access. Just as an additional tip, learn the basics of SQL, it is not required but really helps.

LSW has got it right: convert to MySQL.

Remember that Access was designed to be a single user database; it does not handle multiple users hitting it at the same time to well.

You can either export as a text file as LSW suggest, or you can use a program that will convert an Access database to MySQL. Your choic,e depending on how complex your Access database is.

Stefan

• 2 months later...