IE8 anyone using it?

administrator

Apparently Web Expression now has an ability to view your pages in multiple versions of IE. They call it 'Expression Web SuperPreview'. This is from an email I got from a Microsoft Expression Web team member:

Our application is called Expression Web SuperPreview. It shows you how a web page looks in Firefox 3.5, Safari 3, Safari 4 (Windows and Mac) Internet Explorer 6, and whatever version of Internet Explorer is installed on your system. It actually does all of the rendering locally (except for Mac platform, which is handled by a remote service) for these browsers using the browser engine directly. We took on some big engineering challenges to make this happen - including getting the rendering engine for IE6 run side by side with the Internet Explorer on your system. Right now, Internet Explorer does not run side by side with older versions, and this is a big pain because you must use a virtual machine or another computer to test pages for IE6 compatibility.

I plan on testing this sometime in the near future. But to be honest, since I use wmware virtual machines, I haven't been too motivated to try this since my virtual machines handle this for me.

Stefan

I haven't "moved over" to IE8, but I have got it on a new PC for testing. I'm still using my 2002 XP PC with IE7, Firefox and other browsers fro general use, but it's on it's last legs with registry problems.

IE8 beta was incredibly bad, RC1 much better and the final version RTM is fine for browsing; it seems to interpret code like Firefox and in some ways differs from IE7, but in other ways like default margins and padding is like all the other IE versions, so it does need testing as sometimes it's like FX, sometimes like IE7 which may be confusing.

However, IE8 does have problems with some complicated dynamic sites, just look at all the complaints in this Microsoft forum.

The security measures are more strict and I had trouble accessing Hotmail until I sorted out some internet settings.

Apparently Web Expression now has an ability to view your pages in multiple versions of IE. They call it 'Expression Web SuperPreview'. This is from an email I got from a Microsoft Expression Web team member:

Our application is called Expression Web SuperPreview. It shows you how a web page looks in Firefox 3.5, Safari 3, Safari 4 (Windows and Mac) Internet Explorer 6, and whatever version of Internet Explorer is installed on your system. It actually does all of the rendering locally (except for Mac platform, which is handled by a remote service) for these browsers using the browser engine directly. We took on some big engineering challenges to make this happen - including getting the rendering engine for IE6 run side by side with the Internet Explorer on your system. Right now, Internet Explorer does not run side by side with older versions, and this is a big pain because you must use a virtual machine or another computer to test pages for IE6 compatibility.

I plan on testing this sometime in the near future. But to be honest, since I use wmware virtual machines, I haven't been too motivated to try this since my virtual machines handle this for me.

Stefan

Stef, this is the first of heard of this. Did he state that this is an add-on or something new for the next version?

Hi,

This is a new feature in the latest release of Expression. I have not used it yet so I cannot comment. That said, it might prove to be a very valuable tool for web designers.

... Not everyone uses virtual machines like I do.

Stefan

This seems to be a new feature for version 3 which is still in beta.

You can read more about it here.

Our application is called Expression Web SuperPreview. It shows you how a web page looks in Firefox 3.5, Safari 3, Safari 4 (Windows and Mac) Internet Explorer 6, and whatever version of Internet Explorer is installed on your system.

The keyword is LOOKS; but you can see how a page looks using Browsershots or netrenderer; but does it show how another browser WORKS ie drop down menus, etc.?