Javascript Or Php

thbp

Hi i am wondering about this question. I know there is alot of topics on this but heres my dilema. I am wanting to get into mods for *** (ive already made basic copyright one). After this i want to create php scripts. I already know javascript (intermediate (barely i just know basics with some dom)) but like i said i want to get into php becouse of its benifets and create a php forum system (using text files) (in the future) but i dont know if i should further my javascript. Thank you in Advance.

Edited by thbp

Hi,

You don't need to further your Javascript, if you want to learn PHP or build a forum. Given that you know a little DOM, I would be moving into PHP:

www.killerphp.com

... And I would also look at JQuery for your continued exploration of Javascript. JQuery is a very popular Javascript/Ajax library that makes creating all kinds of Web 2.0 widgets really easy - there is no sense to building these things from scratch.

That brings me to my next point: don't build a forum for scratch! There are so many free open source forums out there, that it would be a classic case of 'reinventing the wheel', if you started to build a new forum.

I wrote about this on my PHP blog: how to build a content management system

Hope that helps.

Stefan

To issues to consider:

• Security - Forums can cause all sorts of security holes, so do you/this other person know enough to deal with them. Other free forums have dedicated professional and experienced developers who do and keep on top of such issues.
  • JavaScript is not supported on many user agents and can be turned off at any time... always use server side code like PHP when possible.