Internet Exployer quirks

dms

Where can I find information explaining the quirks in IE6+ compared to present web standard compliant browsers?

I'm new to web design and this seem to be one of my main hurdles. I'm presently using Textmate to code - would using Dreamweaver simplify fixing the quirks from browser to browser?

Also, I don't have easy access to IE6+. Is there a simple way to test the styling for IE6+ while using a MacBook?

Thanks, Mark

From your Mac you can view what your site looks like in various PC browsers through

http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/

Some designers/developpers are not bothering too much about IE6 anymore as IE7 and IE8, not to mention Firefox, are now taking a large portion of the market.

Dreamweaver will in no way help you simplify the quirks from browser to browser. It is better to get a good grip on html and css and use a text editor and test in different browsers. I am presuming that your MacBook does not have an Intel chip, that could possibly be your next big investment as it will enable you to test your site on both platforms from the same machine.

Viva MAC

Thanks virtual. The net rendering site is helpful, but I would love to test using IE on my MacBook, which does have an Intel chip. I remember reading something about using part of the hard drive for windows, but I've had my focus on learning code and forgot all about it. What would be the best way to set this up?

I now have a pretty good grip on html/css, but I'm not familiar with IE quirks. I'm sure as I start testing using IE, I'll become more familiar with them, but what are a few quirks that I should plan for from the start.

While viewing my site in IE8, even though the screen was large, it did not fit and I had to use the scroll bar, but viewing in Firefox on my MacBook it all fit within the much smaller screen. Why is that?

While viewing my site in IE8, even though the screen was large, it did not fit and I had to use the scroll bar, but viewing in Firefox on my MacBook it all fit within the much smaller screen. Why is that?

It's the difference between resolution (in pixels) and size (in inches or cms).

Your IE8 may have had a very large screen in inches but perhaps was set at say 1024*768px while the MacBook may have had a smaller screen in inches but was set at 1280*1024px so the IE8 needed a scrollbar for a page about 1100px while it fitted within the MacBook's 1280px width.

You do not have to partition your hard drive if you buy software such as VMware or Parallels. They cost about $80 and you can try them for free for 30 days. I have VMware and it is a breeze to install and run.

It is invaluable to test web sites cross platform and cross browser. You can then use a stand alone version of IE6 and a regular version of IE7, plus Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera for Windows or any other windows program that you may care to use.

As everyone here says all the time, code for Firefox and then test in IE6 and IE7 and fix.

Here is a list of all the fixes from IE6 to IE7 that might help you

blog s.msdn.co m/ie/archive/2006/08/22/712830.aspx (remove spaces)

It's the difference between resolution (in pixels) and size (in inches or cms).

Your IE8 may have had a very large screen in inches but perhaps was set at say 1024*768px while the MacBook may have had a smaller screen in inches but was set at 1280*1024px so the IE8 needed a scrollbar for a page about 1100px while it fitted within the MacBook's 1280px width.

Can you tell the browser to display in 1280*1024px when loading? If not, is it best to build toward a smaller pixel width and let the end user adjust accordingly?

The problem today is worse than it was a few years ago when there were only resolutions between about 500px and 1024px.

Now small hand-held devices and mobile phones have resolutions of 500px or less while computers go up to 1920px wide and probably more.

I think it's probably best to use min-width and max-width between say 770px to suit old desktops and about 1100px for modern computers.

IE6 doesn't operate max and min widths so use a conditional comment to fix tye page width at say 770px as people with IE6 have probably got old computers with 800*600px resolution.

Then use a different stylesheet for hand-held devices which needs Javascript to sniff out the resolution, and use different widths for all elements, but that is complicated and I don't know anyone who does it, so all my pages need scrolling if viewed on small resolution devices.

If you code a completely fluid page it will get squashed up in small resolutions and look too spaced out in very large resolutions.

Can you tell the browser to display in 1280*1024px when loading? If not, is it best to build toward a smaller pixel width and let the end user adjust accordingly?

Yes you can but no you should not... always allow the user to make the decisions or make the site flexible so it automatically adjusts to the users resolution and browser size... not everyone opens browsers full screen.

virtual- Thanks, I check out VMware or Parallels.

Wickham - So you set a min-width and max-width for the whole page (body/wrapper)?

I think after I adjust the pixel width it will look fine, but I have a navigation bar just above some absolute positioned pics and when the text is increased it looks terrible. Maybe I should use images for my navigation for this site.

LSW- The heck with them.... Just kidding. Thanks for the advice.

You do not have to partition your hard drive if you buy software such as VMware or Parallels. They cost about $80 and you can try them for free for 30 days. I have VMware and it is a breeze to install and run.

I've downloaded VMware and I think this will be just what the doctor ordered, but it looks line I need to come by a copy of windows xp. I've contacted my nearest Bestbuy (40 minute drive) and they don't carry xp. Where would be the best place to acquire windows xp online?

• 2 weeks later...
You do not have to partition your hard drive if you buy software such as VMware or Parallels.

It is invaluable to test web sites cross platform and cross browser. You can then use a stand alone version of IE6 and a regular version of IE7, plus Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera for Windows or any other windows program that you may care to use.

As everyone here says all the time, code for Firefox and then test in IE6 and IE7 and fix.

Is there a way to download IE7 and IE8. I tried, but IE7 updated to IE8? I didn't see an option to keep 7 in the process.