web design

Guest anthony

Guest anthony

my name is tony. iam from nigeria.

frankly speaking, iam a novist in wed design.

i want to use the opportunities provided by this great forum to learn.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my names is deevadesign. I am just getting started with websites. I created a on several years ago using Front page. I did quite well with it. I launched my site and it looked i thought for a true beginner. Now time has passed and I want to do this as a work from home business. I don't know how to do code for flash, but have found some knock out companies with awesome templates. I have been playing with them and have launched one and it looks good, but for clients do you think it would be ok to use these templates and just add text content, video, and pictures. Those things take quite a bit of time as I have to clean up the photos and make the videos. Since I am new to this i did a practice site with 3 videos and about 25 pictures. It took 3 day working around 3-4 1/2 hrs a day foe 3 days. I felt 20-25.00 an hour was a good price for my time. Can anyone give me some feed back. Also is it better to do find a hosting site and do the domain reg. for the client or just sell them the site and let them do it? Need advice :D

-- Selling a template is fine, as long as the client knows that they are getting a template. However, in a lot of cases, a client will end up looking for functionality that your template may not be able to provide, so you really have to make sure you know how to code HTML/CSS in order to adapt to those situations. There is a time and place to use templates, though I don't personally use them.

-- how much you charge really depends on your local area and the amount of money your clients are willing to pay. There really isn't a guideline to go by, and in general, it is something we don't discuss here

-- Please PLEASE don't code in Frontpage. I don't know if you are still using it, but it creates horrible code that has significant issues in different browsers.

-- On the hosting issue, it depends. On one hand, offering hosting could be a good way to generate some consistent income. On the other, it means you are responsible when/if the website goes down and the client notices, and you have to handle all the issues yourself. Sometimes it is more trouble than it is worth.

-- I usually ask that the client registers the domain names themselves, and then provides me with the login info necessary. I've run into situations where the previous web designer controls the domain name, yet doesn't respond to attempts to contact them, and that is a very difficult situation for the client to be in. Obviously, this is with the understanding that although the domain name is registered by them, they are not to go in and adjust any settings, in case they break something important.

-- and, finally, it's best to start a new topic, rather than hijacking someone else's.

Thank you Benjamin for your advice. Sorry:( did not mean to cause problems on someone's post. I will be care of that next time. The people that are wanting to do websites have stated that they have tried on their own to work with the templates, but became very frustrated when adding text since they are not typist and images. I have informed them that I may use templates if they are needing basic and they were ok with it. So basically they are paying for my time to add the content that they want. I live in the Midwest and prices are all over the place. So I will take the info you provided and go from there. No, I am no longer using Front page. I got a taste of the browsers issues it had with my website. Thanks again for your help. I have been viewing your videos and learning a lot. I will be a constant here at the site. Have a wonderful day!:D