Operating System Preferences

benjaminmorgan

I'm a fan of Mac OSX due to the easy availability of the terminal if I need it, plus a nice user interface and consistency/integration with my other devices. Having a Mac makes it easy to test different web browsers, since I can run Windows in a virtual machine and near instantly have access to older versions of IE without having to reboot (plus Firefox/Chrome/etc. on my Mac). There are some apps out there (Coda, Espresso) for coding that I'd really miss if I switched back to Windows.

All that said, it's really a personal preference thing. There are good coding apps for Windows too, and it really depends on what you are comfortable with.

• 2 months later...

I'm a fan of Mac OSX due to the easy availability of the terminal if I need it, plus a nice user interface and consistency/integration with my other devices. Having a Mac makes it easy to test different web browsers, since I can run Windows in a virtual machine and near instantly have access to older versions of IE without having to reboot (plus Firefox/Chrome/etc. on my Mac). There are some apps out there (Coda, Espresso) for coding that I'd really miss if I switched back to Windows.

If you are willing to set all that up and understand the terminal then the Mac is probably for you mtoagtechnology but for me I prefer to stick to something I know well. Windows 7. I would like to learn terminal though.

If you are willing to set all that up and understand the terminal then the Mac is probably for you mtoagtechnology but for me I prefer to stick to something I know well. Windows 7. I would like to learn terminal though.

Just pointing out... you don't have to touch the terminal if you are on a Mac -- it's just an optional feature that makes things easier for some people. There really isn't anything to set up.

• 1 month later...

I personally use Centos Linux for my Web and Email servers, which I host myself, just was fascinated by making my own hosted server that's really only got resources by way of bandwidth for just me, gets by though but it only gets a maximum of 2mb but it has 3 old P3 processors so it's quite small really but with about well above 10GB of RAM so it's quite neat really, got it free from a colleague of mine (what my wordpress blog runs on actually).

I also run on that IIS on a different port (since I only have 1 public facing IP address) and use that for the Microsoft side of it, on the same physical computer but as 2 different virtual hosts using Paravirtualization using Xen.

I also have a what I call a work station I have done various things on which I had on a dual boot I should say now Windows XP and Centos Linux aswell (thought I did also have a authenticated method too evem on XP to Linux) so some users had to exist as a user on a server to be allowed on my workstation, just wanted to see what I could do with it.

I like both really for different reasons but never really considered a Mac to be honest, not that I am against them for designers it's great but to be honest I think their way over priced personally.

That's my thoughts anyways, I get my kicks highs out of developing applications not designing,

Jez.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I consider myself fairly versatile when it comes to O/S selection. I have used DOS/Windows PC's all my life, switched my main laptop to Mac two years ago, and have used numerous flavors of Unix/Linux/BSD while studying for my Comp.Sci. degree.

Edited by Andrea
Link Deleted - No SPAM please!!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...