Next step in becoming a fully rounded web designer

Ant

I am at a point in learning web design that I have an ok grasp on html and css.(still learning though) Aside from that I have not delved into any other languages,aside from a PHP include function. (which is awesome BTW)

My question is what should I be looking to learn to be a well rounded web designer? Keep in mind the "well rounded web designer" is a broad term to ME right now.

For example, right now I'm researching how to create and integrate an online store into my friends website. Is it common practice to implement a service like "shopify" etc into the site or is that considered to be a "cheat" in the web design world.

The same goes for a blog. If my friend wants a blog I am more then likely going to look for something I can integrate into the existing site to give him that option, like a WordPress blog. Is that the shortcut way of doing things? Is it normal practice or is that the equivalent of trying to use dreamweaver without learning html?

After looking at some javascript tutorials I cant imagine I will be able to fully teach myself the language IN COMPLETE in addition to all the other languages, i.e. AJAX etc etc that I keep seeing. I am wondering if it's a necessity of a web designer or if that is entering the realm of a web programmer.

My main goal is to be able to offer people all the parts of a website they want without cheating to do it thus giving them a hack version of a site. I'm hoping I don't need to be a web programmer to do it right or do it acceptably.

A.

Edited by Ant

Hi,

I've been teaching for years now that modern web design is:

1. HTML + CSS

2. Javascript + Jquery

3. PHP - how to create a shopping cart

4. Wordpress - creating themes and being able to create minor mods.

So, the next step for you might be to learn JQuery- it's pretty easy, fun and powerful. Yes, I'm shamelessly pumping our videos, but that's because we believe in what we do.

:D

Stefan

Thanks Stefan, I will look into your advice.

One question, is the use of those "systems" i.e. wordpress etc considered a shortcut?

BTW, am i right in assuming your book was what I used when in college in 1997 for web design?

Thanks

A.

I agree with Stef's advice. And to answer your question, using a system like WordPress isn't considered a shortcut (in my opinion). Learning WordPress makes you marketable and in high demand. For the past year or two, almost every single one of my new clients have requested WordPress services. It's a great CMS which puts the power of editing the text and photos into your client's hands and frees you up to work on developing sites rather than making small edits here and there for them.

In my mind, the only "cheat" regarding web design is using a program to build websites for you. As a web designer, you should be able to have a strong understanding of HTML/CSS, and not be reliant on something like Dreamweaver's WYSIWYG view in order to build a website. I would definitely encourage you to look at frameworks such as jQuery (for Javascript) and CodeIgniter/Zend/etc. (for PHP) but make sure to have at least a beginner's understanding of Javascript/PHP before you get into that.

I wouldn't say that something like Shopify or Wordpress is a "cheat", especially if you are not interested in the web programming (PHP, server side languages) side of things. Using or customizing prebuilt solutions means you don't have to spend a huge amount of time developing custom solutions for each client, and thus you aren't forced to charge huge amounts to your clients.

I think your main goal should be to know HTML/CSS as thoroughly as possible. Secondly, I would at least have basic knowledge of javascript (for basic animations and effects) and PHP (for processing forms and other simple interactions.) Then perhaps focus on Wordpress or other blog/shopping cart solutions. You don't necessarily have to know every language backwards and forwards, but you have to understand them at least enough so you can understand and modify other people's code so you can use it in your own projects. Mastery of these languages takes time and a lot of experience, so just work on it a little at a time.

Guest websitedesignerss

I dont want to be a well rounded web designer. If i want to be a web designer simply, what things i need to do? Just clarify me about that.

I dont want to be a well rounded web designer. If i want to be a web designer simply, what things i need to do? Just clarify me about that.

At the very least, you need to have a strong understanding of HTML and CSS. And probably a little PHP to handle contact forms and such.

However, keep in mind that clients tend to expect a lot, and the more you know and the more flexible you can be, the more jobs you will be able to get (and the more money you can earn.) Most of the clients I work with aren't looking for something "simple" -- they want a blog, a website they can update themselves, effects like slideshows, tooltips, etc (that would 95% of the time be Javascript based), SEO, etc.