adding an image (picture)

bmayer

I was successful in adding a text image to my first website. However adding an actual pic or logo has been challenging. Are there limits to the size of the .gif that you can use? Do you have to make room for it on the page? Any advised would be appreciated....thanks!

No there is no size limit, but smartly you will. A page should not really be larger than 50kb. Smaller images translate into faster loading pages.

Yes you should use the exact size in the source cold, keeps the page from jumping around. But always upload the size you need. You can make it smaller in the code... but you are paying for the full size of the image even if you do not show it that big.

Not really any 'limit' except your bandwidth will take a beating if the images are too large.

Also, large images will be slow to load for the clients.

yes, you should make room for the image on your page, otherwise the image will push content down or sideways and mess up the lay-out.

Change the filename.jpg to the actual name of the image you use.

Adjust the width and height to suit your site placement. These sizes are the size on the page. The image could be smaller or larger to start with.

Another image question?....I did get the image to appear and it looks good, how do you add another image or 2 or 3 images in different areas of the page? In other words, how do I get the CSS code to recognize 2 separate images...rather than moving them around together?

Thanks jlhaslip! I was successful in placing my text image code into open space. However I still can't get it where I can move it around by itself....for instance how do I get my 2nd image (the text image) to appear in the top left hand corner of the page, without changing anything else?

Whether your image has text on it or the picture of a doghouse, the positioning will work the same. You can apply classes or IDs to the code, and then use your CSS to position the image via that class/ID.

However, since you're talking about a text image: It's always better to add text as text. Not only is it easier to update, an image can also not be read by search engines or screen readers. Basically the only good reason to use text images is if you're using a special font for a header - but even then you should always have the text itself presented on the page (hidden by the image, but available for search engines, screen readers, and those with images turned off).