I have a question?

Design

Yes and no. It will teach you the basic principles that underlie all web design -- the basic HTML and CSS tags that are used and similar. It should give you a strong starting point for continuing learning web design if you so choose. It focuses primarily on the coding aspect of web design - it doesn't really cover how to design a website/create the graphics (though it does cover how to insert pre-made graphics into your site).

One thing to keep in mind -- that site is actually running Wordpress (http://wordpress.org/). For Wordpress related tutorials, take a look at http://www.killersites.com/wordpress/ or the Wordpress for designers series here: http://blog.themeforest.net/category/wordpress/. However, if you have no/very little experience working with HTML and CSS, I'd definitely suggest that you start with Web Design One first. In order to put together a Wordpress theme, you'll need a strong understanding of HTML/CSS.

Regarding the graphics, all I mean is that it the series focuses on the coding. For example, it may show you how to insert a .JPG image into your website, but it won't necessarily show you how to create images in Photoshop.

I don't mean to discourage you, but keep in mind that web design covers a wide range of topics and there is a lot to learn. You don't necessarily want to over-promise your client something and then under-deliver. If you have never done any web design related work and don't have any Photoshop (or other graphics program) experience, I'd be hesitant to accept it. Maybe you should take a look at some of the sample videos that KillerSites offers and get a feel for how long it might take you to learn things.

Also, I realized its hard to find all the parts in the Wordpress for Designers series, so here's a link (take a look for the dropdown in the top left corner -- it includes links to all 16 parts in the series): http://www.multiurl.com/ga/Worpress_For_Designers

It teaches the basic HTML and CSS -- the technology that all websites use. It assumes that you have little/no experience with HTML and CSS, and steps you through the process of building a basic website. I'm assuming you've seen the course description: http://killersites.com/web-design/ ?

That course was one of the ways I got started a couple years ago.

After you have the basics of HTML/CSS down, then it's sortof up to you how you proceed. There are a wide range of things you could look at... Javascript/jQuery, PHP, Photoshop/design (if you don't already know that...), working with a CMS/blog engine of some sort like Wordpress, etc. It just depends if you plan to make web design a career and continue to do web design, or if you are just learning things for this project.

Has your potential client indicated anything if he/she wants a CMS (content management system) that will allow them to edit their website on their own? If so, Wordpress is definitely one option to consider, but obviously you'll need to know how to work with Wordpress and build Wordpress sites.

I really can't tell you that. It depends on how fast you learn, if you have any technical background (do you have experience working with computers, any experience doing programming - web or otherwise), how much time you have to spend on it, whether you enjoy it or not...

I'd probably suggest just diving in, doing a couple video tutorials or following along with a few articles, and trying to get a feel for how long it takes you to pick up some of the basics. I'd say you should be able to figure that out in a couple hours. Maybe buy the $20 course -- that's a pretty minimal amount to spend (compared to taking a college class or similar) and you should be able to get a feel for if you can do this or not.

I don want to disappoint you but in order to do a site like Pink Cake Box you need a lot to accomplish it You need php to get the gallery running like this and some Javascript and of course HTML and CSS, but this doesn't mean that you can't, of course you can !! but just like falconcreative said, you need to realize your skills in order to give an answer to your client. If you don't have knowledge at all about web design paying those $20 dollars will be a good investment to get involve into this amazing enviroment of web desing.

Your question is a little bit like asking "How long does it take to become an artist?" Or: "How much does it cost to buy a car?"

The answer is totally dependent on you! How talented are you? How much effort are you going to expend? Do you want a VW or a Cadillac? The Cake-Box site is fairly ambitious. To see how ambitious, look at the coding that determines the site. (Open the site in your browser and go to "view" and then "View source" or "Page source" [Depending on your browser]) You would have to learn to understand what that stuff means!

The Killer-sites tutorials are an excellent source to start down that road, as Falken and others have said here, but it is only a start! The course will enable you to build a basic but (mostly) static website. For a more interactive site, such as what you seem to be aiming for, will need more knowledge and study. Perhaps web development software such as Wordpress or Dreamweaver can help you with some of that, but that is beyond my area of competence to comment on.

Now study, learn and go build a Cadillac of a web-site!

This forum is the right place to learn more as you progress.

Welcome and good luck!

Alfie

Edited by daddyalfie