macbook security software

dms

What software would you recommend to use with a Mac to protect against virus? and/or malware? I use VMware Fusion to view my work on IE, if that makes a difference. I've never had a problem, but just need to make sure I don't at this point. I'm starting to do a little work for others and want to make sure I don't infect someones server. Thanks, Mark

I'm not sure what other Mac users will say about this, but I'm pretty confident that I can run OSX without security software. As far as I know, any virus/malware for the Mac all require the user to manually authorize the install of the malicious files. If you are still concerned though, perhaps take a look at http://www.clamxav.com/.

If you run Windows in a virtual machine on your Mac, I'd definitely want some sort of security software on the VM.

I'm not sure what other Mac users will say about this, but I'm pretty confident that I can run OSX without security software. As far as I know, any virus/malware for the Mac all require the user to manually authorize the install of the malicious files. If you are still concerned though, perhaps take a look at http://www.clamxav.com/.

If you run Windows in a virtual machine on your Mac, I'd definitely want some sort of security software on the VM.

ineed it does, however there are millions of ways to bypass this, or take advantage of flaws in application using shared userbases expecially where one of them has root previleges.

And I think it's a little like with linux, where we have virus scanners not directly to protect our system but more to make sure we do not spread viruses along to any windows machines on the network etc.

I don't have any anti-virus software on my Macs, but I absolutely do on the PC side . Malicious hackers want to infect as many people as possible so they write programs for PC's not for the smaller population of Mac owners. Having said that it is possible, but I have never had a problem.

I volunteer to help a local DAR Chapter with their website and I received the following from an administrator.

We don?t know how or exactly when several websites are infected with malware. We are shutting the site down and you will not be able to get to your website.

Please immediately check your machines for virus? and/or malware software on your system. Run a full scan on your machine and clean whatever you find. Let me know when your full system has passed a virus check.

I contacted Apple's technical support and they claim no security software is necessary. I do update my operation system when Apple sends me a notice. So what do you recommend I do?

Sorry, I just re-read this.

And I think it's a little like with linux, where we have virus scanners not directly to protect our system but more to make sure we do not spread viruses along to any windows machines on the network etc.

Do you recommend a particular software?

Sorry, I just re-read this.

Do you recommend a particular software?

I use ClamXav on my mac laptop, it's more a virus scanner and not an antivirus software as there is no need for that. So you manually scan files/uploads/mails using it.

It uses the same virus database as ClamWin, and basically just scans until it finds a signature and alerts you, so you can remove it and not risk spreading the virus further.

http://www. clam xav.com/index.php?page=dl

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I am currently looking into this myself.

I have always had PC's but I have just bought my daughter a MAC and I plan to buy one for myself in the near future.

Being a PC user for the last 11 years or so I always made sure I had antivirus software on my PC, so I am finding it difficult to break the habit with my daughters MAC, even though I have read many times that they don't need them.

I guess I have been brainwashed... :blink:

Anyway, I noticed today that AVG seem to be offering some sort of free MAC option these days, has anyone tried this?