Just In Time For The Winter Olympics!

newseed

We Floridians (actually, I'm a Texan living in Florida) are in the Winter Olympics spirit!! We had a whopping trace of snow today just in time for the games!

Yeah, I know, it nothing to most of you living up north but it's a big event here! Heck, we even closed a few schools and businesses. (wimps!)

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Edited by newseed

What part of Florida are you from?

... I've been considering moving down to Miami (Sobe) for a little while now - I'm getting sick of the snow up here!

Stefan

I live in the pandhandle near Pensacola. I'm about 30 miles from the beach.

I don't hear too many good things about Miami especially from long time Floridians in this region I live at. If you are into the big city then you might want to check out Orlando. Either way, you will have a couple of things to worry about. First, hurricanes. Second, good "old" Arnold Schwarzenegger said that Florida is "for the old people''.

Where I live at is an area that is quite a bit laid back. Pensecola is about 100k in population. Next largest city is to the west (Mobile, AL).

If you get the urge to move down here, I suggest you make a week long visit and scan whatever town or area you think you would like to live in. My wife and I thought about living in Tennessee but before we decided, we stayed at a budget inn with a kitchen. As you can see, we decided to stay in Florida.

With that thought, you are welcome to drop by here on your way.

This is a handy guide to help you decide where you might like to live: http://www.city-data.com/

I don't hear too many good things about Miami especially from long time Floridians in this region I live at. If you are into the big city then you might want to check out Orlando.

I'm curious' date=' what would make Orlando a better choice than Miami?

Thanks,

Stefan[/quote']

Well, I can't speak for myself because I never lived at either one of those places but my dad did for years and preferred Orlando over Miami. Also, several folks (about 3 of them really) here have lived in both places and they preferred Orlando. All have a variety of reasons but really I cannot' recall what they were except that it cost more to live in Miami by about 6-8%.

My wife visited Orlando and she really liked it but then again it was only a visit.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've been considering south Florida for years and started looking at real estate down there in early 2007, just before the crash ... I figured it was coming and was scouting things out. I never pulled the trigger though, because I decided to wait for the crash to settle.

It will take another couple of years I think, before we hit bottom. I believe the US will follow what happened in Japan: complete retracement of the gains accrued in the bubble. For the US, this means 1999 prices and lower.

Stefan