ExpressionEngine / CodeIgniter Conference

falkencreative

For anyone who's interested in PHP/CodeIgniter/Expression Engine, there's a three day conference being held in San Francisco CA (USA) May 31 through June 2nd. I don't believe there are many members here from the California area, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

I've been doing more backend development work recently (it's an area I'd like to get into more -- it would be nice if I could do all three: design, frontend and backend coding) so I'm planning on attending. I've been using CodeIgniter for some personal projects and it's been really useful -- hopefully the conference will help improve my CI knowledge. It'll be the first web related conference I've attended, so hopefully it'll be a good experience.

More info: http://eeci2010.com/

EDIT: A very similar CodeIgniter/ExpressionEngine conference was held in the Netherlands late last year (hosted by the same company). The site (http://www.eeci2009.com/) has videos and slides from the different presentations.

CodeIgniter looks like a nice PHP framework, but I still don't like them using looping code in their views

As I said before, that just depends on how the programmer codes it.

As far as I know, if you need a loop you have to put it somewhere -- either in the view, where the front-end programmer has the chance to screw it up if they accidentally delete something PHP related, or if you put it within the controller, which means that if it needs to be changed, either the original programmer has to do it, or the front-end guy will need to sort out where to find it and how to change it (again, without screwing things up).

Interestingly enough, there's a presentation on this at the conference: "PHP in templates: pain or pleasure?"