Career Transition question

yeokianhwee

Hi all,

I am in the mid of career transition and like to seek some opinion from you guys. I have been supporting, implementing several application project for the past 11 years, not programming but build the project using certain software package and due to some reason I am considering a career as a freelancer.

I have been watching Stefan Youtube videos for few weeks now and I roughly understand that the broad category are as follows:

1. Web development( HTML, CSS, Javascript + Python/Ruby + PHP? )

2. Enterprise application/ Android Apps (Java)

I have the following questions that hope to hear from you guys:

1. If my intended destination is freelancer, I should choose the Web Development route and go all out to learn HTML, CSS, Javascript + Python/Ruby + PHP?

2. I learnt Java as my first language during my university time (15 years ago), and just realised that now it is possible to build Android apps and I am interested.

3. Any other opinions that you guys think beneficial to my situation.

Thanks guy!

Hi!

1. Freelance web development is all about HTML, CSS, JavaScript and PHP. PHP has big demand in the small business space and that's who hires freelancers.
  2. Mobile app development is more and more being done with web tech like phoneGap or React Native, which is JavaScript.

I suggest freelancers learn web tech because it gives you the widest possible choices.

Stef

4 minutes ago, administrator said:

Hi!

1. Freelance web development is all about HTML, CSS, JavaScript and PHP. PHP has big demand in the small business space and that's who hires freelancers.
  2. Mobile app development is more and more being done with web tech like phoneGap or React Native, which is JavaScript.

I suggest freelancers learn web tech because it gives you the widest possible choices.

Stef

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Can you point me to some learning resource(website/books/online course) to get me started on this web development learning journey?

Sincerely,

Kian Hwee

Hi Stefan,

I have checked your course and the course seems pretty comprehensive for web developer training. I have some question like to seek your opinion(or refer me to any of your video is great too).

1. May I know how do you find out the needs of the local businesses? I like to find out that there is needs in local market before I invest in a course.

2.  Will you be updating your course if any of the language(HTML/CSS/SQL/Javascript/PHP) has some significant update/breakthrough?

Thanks.

Hi,

1. Well, just start asking around. Check local job ads on sites like indeed.com. That said, $99 isn't a huge investment in the grand scheme of things ... and since it is on sale, it's hard to go wrong. 

2. Courses are updated as they need to be. I just updated the SQL course coincidentally. 

Stef

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I am totally in the same situation, I decided try to develop ma own ap and to sell it for some money. On these money think that I will continue my education. I only begin my career of web developer, but I am already make some progress. For it I can be thankful a lot of courses and trainings which I have passed earlier. It was very helpful for me. All of them I have found on becomeopedia . Think that here you also will find some answers on your questions. Here are represented probably the all possible jobs.

Edited by RonyJoshua