Hey everyone!

My name is Natan and I live in Ottawa, ON.

I'm interested in web development and probably doing some more exploring in programming languages later on.

I'm trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together and get the big picture about HTML, CSS, JAVA and other things but I don't have the will to do such information gathering on the internet because a lot of the websites are overcrowded with things not important and they always take the long route of explaining the simplest things or they don't explain important things correctly. I don't like to just follow rules when someone says, for example, press ONE. I need to know why I'm doing it, what effect it has exactly,  if there is a more simple way to do it or if I can make my own way in anything.

As soon as I sit in front of my laptop and open Brackets ( text editor ), I just get bored after just 10 minutes and can't get myself to be interested in all of it, the idea of learning, in other words, I just become lazy. When I'm away from my laptop, being outside or doing something else completely, I love the idea of me sitting, writing code and being a nerd but it doesn't work since I need it to be interesting and faster. I've discovered that in order to be able to do anything productive on the laptop, I need to play fast-paced music in the background to make it more interesting and get myself to do things. I get all these super crazy ideas about apps, websites and more but with the friends I have, they always look not interested in talking much about it and exploring, dismissing them and telling me the things that wouldn't work and not ever mentioning the things that would. Talking about how people see only bad and not good, haha.

My question to you is what makes you want to develop apps, websites and other things, what drives you to do so? Anyone have any tips or something? I find it better if I work in a team to solve problems and pretty much do anything. I'm a team player. :)

Anyone in Ottawa that feels the same and wants to team up and maybe and make something in the future, like an app or a website. A mentor would be nice also.

Edited by Natan

Only tip I'd offer you is quite simple: start making things.

Set yourself a goal and a deadline.

Web development is a HUGE topic and without a goal and a deadline it's super easy to get hopelessly distracted by a bazilion different things that look kind of cool.

What could you aim to make in, say, three days? As a noob, you're not going to replicate Pinterest in that time. That would be a huge, and completely unrealistic aim.

But what about a single webpage that displays a few pics you took on your phone? With a goal like that you're suddenly focused on something specific and can start to filter out all the stuff that's not relevant. Only you know what would be an interesting goal. But choose something and get to work on it.

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Well thats nice story and question you got there fellow nerd. Everyone will give you a different answer, opinion, thoughts, advice and so on... so here are my thoughts, I hope they will help you.

You see, I am 23 years old, and maybe few years back I didnt know what I wanna do in my life, what type of work, nothing. I went to ITC college for telecommunications and really I didnt like that. In the third year of my college I found out that I like programming, that I wanna do that do that, I wanna be programmer. Since I found out that I wanted to learn programming but I didnt have any directions, didnt know where and from who to learn from, nothing. So I got some books from the internet and started learning the HTML, CSS, JavaScript. I learned HTML and CSS but not JavaScript it was to complicated for me to learn it from the book, and I am a type of guy who likes to learn basics good, to know what that thing does what does the other thing does and so on. I took some classes on the internet, they helped, but not that much. So I decided to go to school in Serbia known as IT Academy, where in 12 months they learn you everything what a front-end, back-end programmer needs. I couldnt sing up for traditional classes (like going to school and learning) I signed up for online classes (you learn from your house through internet). I thought, I would learn there since classes are in Serbian language, I can ask them whatever I want and so on. And I learned there some things but still didnt know some basics stuff, I didnt have the feel that I mastered the basics, how do things  do and so on. I took some courses from udemy to help me little, I like to learn from multiple sources. And one day, I went to YouTube and found Stefan Mischook (my name is Stefan too :D), and watched his clips and liked it. I liked how he talked, objective and non-biased. Thats what I want to hear. And the way he talks is simple, he can talk some ultra-mega-giga nerd things and to translate them into non-nerd language for everyone to understand. I took his IWD (Interactive Web Developer course) and Python 3. I finished IWD and now I will do projects and later Python 3. I finally learned the basics, mastered them. I feel happy and satisfied. Now I know how things work, how request/response cycle works, OOP (Objective Oriented Programing) and so on.... in one word the BASICS. Once you master them, everything is easy. Its easy to build a house on the solid foundation, because the house wont collapse, same here with programming, you will be confident to continue forward because you know how things work.

Now, what is the point of all this story that I have written? Well, its this. Find yourself, who you are, what you like, dont be a copycat of someone else, be yourself, be original. When you find yourself you will know what you love to do. And then you dont let go. You go pursuit your dreams. I found myself, fought and won over the depression and I found out that I love to program and I never stoped, even if I made mistakes. 

If I founded Stefan a year back I wouldnt spend 1500$ on IT Academy.

Find what kind of teacher you want, that appeals to you. Make your study room, your PC and everything  to the way you like to help you learn good.

If you want to learn the basics, and how things work, I would suggest taking Stefans courses. 

Write out 5 reasons why you want to learn programming, so when you lost your motivation and you look at you reasons you will get back on your feet.

Since it is written in Serbian I will translate it for you.

"

Why I want to learn programming and do that

1) To help animals.

2) To help people.

3) To save and heal the nature.

4) To become rich so I can afford for my mother, father, granma, grandad( I wrote wrong on the paper xD), Vuk (name the of my brother, translated it means Wolf) and Laki (name of my dog whose name is Lucky or Laki shortcut from Lazar in Serbian).

5) Because that what I want to do. Because thats what I love to do.
 "

What are your reasons?

I hope this helped! :) 

IMG_0176.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2017 at 1:29 AM, Natan said:

My question to you is what makes you want to develop apps, websites and other things, what drives you to do so? Anyone have any tips or something? I find it better if I work in a team to solve problems and pretty much do anything. I'm a team player.

Sorry for the long delay. I get soooo many questions. 

For me, being about to develop apps was a valuable skill that just gave me more options. I look at coding as one of many:

• Writing
  • Coding
  • Communication

Etc ....

How to motivate yourself:

1. Start learning ... say for example, do 20 minutes / day. StudioWeb will be ideal for you, since you can just do 2 video lessons a day, and their questions. This is all tracked and so you never have to figure out where you were. 
  2. Continue to do you daily training .... like doing a daily exercise. It's only 20 minutes ... and you don't need to shower after!
  3. Start looking around for ideas on things you might build. Ask some business owners you know what kind of software they may need, or maybe a small business may need a website. Get a feel for what is out there. 

Hope that helps!

Stef

• Like 1