Service providers calling themselves entrepreneurs?

aabarker

Do you think it's ok for a service provider to call himself an entrepreneur?

I live in Chiang Mai where's there's an abundance of people who are working remotely. I've heard people refer to themselves and me as an entrepreneur. I usually tell them I'm not an entrepreneur yet, as I only provide 1 service.

I think you can start calling yourself an entrepreneur when you provide several services across minimum 2 separate businesses.

What do you think?

Adam

• Like 1

Hi!

Thailand! Lots of fun. Spent time in Bangkok and Phuket. Best chicken in the world is found in the beaches there! 

Do you think it's ok for a service provider to call himself an entrepreneur?

I see your point. Over here in Canada, people who basically sell their time are referred to as contractors. Or in French, 'travailleur autonome'. 

Entrepreneurs invent businesses and there is an expectation of developing an 'engine', if you will, that earns when you are NOT working. 

There are 4 levels of business:

1. Sell your time - contractor.
  2. Sell other people's time.
  3. Sell a physical product that you created.
  4. Sell an idea: software, publishing etc.

Stef

• Like 1

Agreed! Bangkok I mainly met English teachers, but up here more or less every western guy I've met is a coder or marketing/website freelancer and every girl I've met is a blogger.

Also Stef - This invision forum software is really nice and clean. I stay logged in (through facebook I presume), and the notifications make sense.

--

Thanks for answering the question.

When you say there's 4 levels, is 4 inherently more complex and desirable than 2 or 3? I'm just about ready to hit level 2, so I can concentrate on higher level business activities - increasing my knowledge, finding new clients,  hiring people.

My goal is to gradually become an expert in PHP + Wordpress, able to do any and all jobs which come my way, but actually doing almost none of them - just the really cool ones. 

My friend here has himself a developer from the Philippines, who primarily uses Divi. He's paid him $300 a month for a few years now - is this a realistic approach? Ideally, I need a guy who has a total understanding of PHP to build websites for me using Beaver builder & wordpress, but able to take on more complex jobs. My understanding of PHP isn't good enough right now to hire anybody to do more complex jobs yet - I just had to turn down a nice web app.

I think I could comfortably sell $4k-6k good month (2 or 3 x $2000 or similar), and using page builders there's more than enough time - slow clients not withstanding... for $300 in labour per month, the margins there are obviously huge. What do you think of this approach? Too much of a hack, or entrepreneurial (while it lasts)?

Cheers

Adam

Edited by aabarker
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...