? For Administrator Or A Moderater

grabenair

I'll see if I can look into it. Andrea has mentioned the same thing, though at least for me personally, I haven't been able to duplicate the issue. I'll talk to Stefan about upgrading the forum software to the latest version to see if that fixes things.

If you could step me through exactly what you are doing, and what code you are trying to enter that causes the forum to get confused (HTML? CSS? Anything?), that would be helpful. It would be nice if I could be able to duplicate the issue so I can properly explain it to Stefan.

I have been sitting here trying to make it happen. Well guess what when I want it to nothing.

It does not matter what code html css php or jQuery.

I tried putting in a smiley emotion to see if that had something to do with it, but no.

I just also went to my last post (Finished a site and need some constructive criticism) and tried to make it happen but again no. But there is the problem with the emoticon I have had from time to time there.

Edited by grabenair

Testing - pasting some css and html into the code tag --- and go figure, I'm not getting the mess right now, either.

#logo{
background:url(logo.png) no-repeat;
width:394px;
height:383px;
position:relative;
top:20px;
left:320px;
}

ul#menu {
margin-left:250px;

}
ul#menu li {
display:inline;
margin-left:12px;
}

<body>  
<div id="wrapper"> 
		<div id="logo"></div>
			<ul id="menu">
           		<li><a href="">Portfolio</a></li>
           		<li><a href="">Services</a></li>
           		<li><a href="">About</a></li>
           		<li><a href="">Testimonials</a></li>
           		<li><a href="">Request a Quote</a></li>
           	</ul>
    		</div>

</div>

</body>

Well for me sometimes it is from DWcs6 and sometimes from notepad++ and sometimes Crome developer tools. It just depends on what computer I am using at the time. And what I am trying to help with.

The next time it happens I will leave it there with a note to the person I am trying to help to ignore the tags that appear in the code for Ben can see what we are talking about.

Edited by grabenair

Mine would most often come from Dreamweaver, or via view source. Above was Dreamweaver, let's check FX view source:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html xmlns="[url=""]http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml[/url]"> <head> <meta http-equiv="[url=""]Content-Type[/url]" content="[url=""]text/html; charset=iso-8859-1[/url]" /> <title>Home</title> <link rel="[url=""]stylesheet[/url]" type="[url=""]text/css[/url]" href="[url="view-source:http://www.aandbwebdesign.com/KSforum/index.css"]index.css[/url]" /> </head>  <body>   	<div id="[url=""]wrapper[/url]">             <div id="[url=""]container[/url]"> 		    	<div id="[url=""]logo[/url]"> 			     				<ul id="[url=""]menu[/url]">             		<li><a href="">Portfolio</a></li>             		<li><a href="">Services</a></li>             		<li><a href="">About</a></li>             		<li><a href="">Testimonials</a></li>             		<li><a href="">Request a Quote</a></li>             	</ul>              </div> 		          	</div> 		       </div> 		    			    			       </body> 		       </html> 		       	              		

And there we have it. Apparently, it happens when it's view source copy/pasting.

I wonder if Dreamweaver/code view adds additional formatting that isn't copied over properly when pasting between it and a browser. What happens if that code is pasted into a simple text editor like Notepad, then recopied/pasted? I wonder if this is actually a Dreamweaver problem, and not the forum at all? (if so, a forum upgrade may not fix it?)

Ben, my first post was code pasted from Dreamweaver. And actually, it got there copied/pasted from view source. Dreamweaver is not th4e problem. the problem seems to occur when the code is copied directly from view source to the forum.

Andrea's problem code has not happened to me. What I always get is [size2]some code here[/size2]some more code here. The size2 is in randomly placed places in the code.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, I just assumed it was the same issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Only after I post and then view the post to double check it.

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8" />
<!-- Always force latest IE rendering engine (even in intranet) & Chrome Frame
Remove this if you use the .htaccess -->
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge,chrome=1" />
<title>HTML</title>
<meta name="description" content="" />
<meta name="author" content="Robert Bonner" />
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0" />
<!-- Replace favicon.ico & apple-touch-icon.png in the root of your domain and delete these references -->
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="/apple-touch-icon.png" />
</head>

The above is from AptanaStudio3 just to see what would happen. So I guess the problem I am having is different then Andrea's I just have a problem with DWcs6

Edited by grabenair

<html><head><meta charset="UTF-8"><title>MidWest Web Design Studio</title><link href="[url="http://midwestwebdesignstudio.com/_css/style.css"]_css/style.css[/url]" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"><!--[if lt IE 9]><script src="http://html5shiv.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script><![endif]-->
<meta name="keywords" content="web designer, web developer, web design company," /><meta name="description" content="The place for all of your web design and development needs." /></head>

The above here is from Copying and pasting from the Crome view source. The formatting changes after posting and get the [ ] I think this is also an Andrea's problem. Just thought I would try the view source to see what would happen.

It is weird that it is only DWcs6 and view source.

I never had the problem with DWcs4 or any other code editor. I was using notepad++ for the last couple of years until I went back to college to get my pedigree. Part of the college I am attending is you get a MacBook pro and an Adobe premier package (not free lol) so I am now using DW again sometimes to write code.

I tried this to see what would happen.

Whenever I entered source code from firefox between the code snippet tags, I got a strange output like the others.

Then I copied and pasted the same code to notepad & 3 different IDES and I got a good result --> normal code snippet.

So I just seem to have an issue with the source code that comes directly from firefox without being "cleansed" first in an IDE or notepad (in my case).

If that helps at all........

Edited by Stephenius

Yeah, I think it's a similar issue to what happens to text copied and pasted from Word sometimes -- If you copy/paste text from Word into a WYSIWYG field (for example, say a textarea when you are editing a Wordpress page) you'll often get junk spans and CSS classes included as well. I would bet that if the code is pasted into a plain text editor like Notepad, then copied/pasted from Notepad to the forum, it will be fine. I don't think there's an easy way to fix it, and I would bet that other forums have the same sort of issue unless they are using only plain text or markdown to enter comments.

Hello again Ben, I just figured something out. I just posted a new topic titled, a better way to clear floats. I copied the code from DW but this time instead of using the icon to inject the code, I hand wrote the opening and closing tag and it worked fine. clap.gif

Edited by grabenair