File Compression...

rudyten2000

I've been Reading about File compression lately, but it is a bit confusing.

When we say File compression before serving a page... Are we just talking about cleaning up a file(by removing extra white spaces, using short names, removing comments, etc...) or run in thru some kinda compressor app?

The source is gonna look all ugly? even more ugly then as i leave it now.....

Anyways... a bit confusing.

I been trying to optimize my play directory, by doing several things.. Compression is the one am reading about now.

I already combined all my CSS files into one dynamic CSS file using PHP.

Play Directory? Maybe they mean the music files?

There are gimicks out there to compress HTML files, or make them unreadable for the paranoid developers. But yea, the code afterwords is shot, you can never use it again (OK, You can if you want to spend days trying to find elements etc.) so you MUST ALWAYS uses Copies so that you have a fresh readable version of the page.

IMHO - not worth the danger of zapping the original with no backup.

hehehe, my "Play Directory" is my /SEO/html/mysql/php/Mod-rewrite/Session management/ and anything else i can think about playground.

Whenever I wanna try something out new I apply it to the directory, over the years it becoming bigger.

The directory is actually an Arts and Crafts directory. Before this directory I had ZERO exposure to all this Web stuff, being a COBOL/DB Programmer.

the directory is XHTML 1.0 Strict, it Validates with very little warnings when ADSENSE is off that is. My main Validator is Firefox Html Validator Addon. I get a TON of ACCESSIBILITY Warnings, but I have not started working on those yet...needs more reading...

I try not to use much javascript. The images are generated dynamically. The CSS is put together by PHP depending on what page is being requested, (CSS needs massive clean up). The URL's are friendly(i think), site is SEO friendly.

Lately I been reading alot about cache and compression... small things I can do to speed up a site.

There is no Danger of me zapping the HTML because it is all put together with PHP

Server compression is a different issue. If you select for the Server to use compression, it will one of several methods to reduce the about of data which gets shipped down the Interwebs. The Browser receiving it will then de-compress the data for use in the Browser. It is automatic and transparent to the user.