Update web page from database

Hi,

I am a total newb with only some experience of html. I am ambitious about creating an interactive website and I have the basics down for doing this. However, my proposed page is going to contain listings for events that will need to be added and updated regularly.

Rather than go in and change each listing individually, I want to rely on a template which will automatically be updated from a database / spreadsheet.

For instance, I want the web page to list something like the following information:

Film: Star Trek

Cinema: Odeon

Times: 19:30, 20:30, 21:30

Review: [include url]

Trailer: [embedded youtube video]

etc...

In this example I would want all movie listings to follow the same format but for each one to be linked to a db so that I can simply update the fields there, rather than go in and edit the code directly.

Is this something I can do using SQL? Or is there something more appropriate? I do want to the appearance to be dynamic.

I know this seems ambitious for a newb but I'm simply planning ahead. My early versions of the page will be updated manually but, ultimately, I want to be able to make quick updates in this way as I plan to be handling a lot of information.

Many thanks!!

SM

Edited by SceamingMonk

You will always use something SQL based to query the Database. SQL (SQL), MySQL (MySQL), T-SQL (SQL), SQLPlus (Oracle)... Then off the wall stuff like "Hybernate" that make up their own languages... still make up their own versions of SQL.