Why does my site show up differently in IE than in Firefox?

Guest susangilmore

Guest susangilmore

My web site shows up differently when I open it in firefox than in IE. It is actually showing the way I want it to in IE. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks, I need all the help I can get.

IE is garbage generally.

You see everything before IE8 is not standards compliant, IE does it's own thing.

Firefox, Safari, Chrome and Opera are all standards compliant.

Firefox looks at your code expecting you to know what you are doing. It shows the site as you wrote it. If it is not how you want it, then it is because you wrote it wrong.

IE assumes you do not know what you are doing and it shows you what it thinks you want and ignores your mistakes.

So you have done something wrong in as far as where things are and Fx is showing you what you wrote, showing you the mistake. IE is hiding the mistake from you and showing you what it assumes you want.

• 1 month later...

Best thing is to design for Firefox, and then do fixes JUST for IE, using conditional statements (not as hard as it sounds).... they just tell IE to do something different with some css, so it looks the same as in Firefox. Dreamweaver CS4 uses the Safari engine for it's "live view" iirc.

If you code for Firefox and use valid css/html coding and remember that padding/margins and borders are handled differently in IE vs FX then the chances are that you will not have to use Conditional Comments (CC) for IE. In rare cases when you have to use CC, it will be more than likely for IE6.

• 4 weeks later...