XHTML Firefox display issue

wasso

Hello

I have created a website a couple of days ago,a small one.

I have checked the XHTML and the CSS with W3C validator and I have cleared all the problems.

But somehow in the Firefox browser, the bottom border of the "wrapper"(the frame around the body) of the XHTML still appears in the middle. However this problem does not occur in the IE browser.

If needed i can post the XHTML code and the CSS sheet.

Thank you

Correction, you have a problem in IE.

Firefox is showing you what you coded. If you make a mistake it shows you.

IE does what it "thinks" you want. If you make a mistake it ignores it. IE assumes you don't know what your doing. Firefox assumes you do.

So get it right in Firefox and then fix it in IE using IE Conditional Comments.

As far as XHTML, are you using Content Navigation using a scripting language like PHP? If not, then you may think your writing XHTML but you are serving HTML. I will guess you are because IE does not support XHTML. So you are not doing XHTML anyways, so just switch to HTML. HTML or XHTML?

I really appreciate what you have written here LSW,thank you. But this is too complicated for me. i just did the site few days ago (and learned how to do one) and i can't developp it anymore unless i clear this last issue.

I can send the file of the site (it has not been uploaded online) to one of the moderators. The site is not a great importance for me so you can take as a time as you like.

thanks

You can leave it as XHTML code... just so you understand that what the browser shows you is not a XHTML page it is a HTML page.

As for the rest... IE is wrong, Firefox is right. So get it looking right in Firefox, then it will look good in all mozilla based browsers, Safari and Conqueror and should look OK in Opera. So most of the browsers.

IE8 is in the final testing stage, so may be released this year yet. It will be standards compliant, meaning it should show sites the way firefox does, so you should be good to go.

So all you need to do then is Use IE Conditional comments to say "If you are IE6 or IE 7... do it this way." You do that because those two browsers are not standards compliant... hence they are broken. So do it right for Safari, Firefox, Opera and IE8... and then worry about fixing it for the two broken browsers... IE 6 and IE 7.

There are people here better versed in Conditional comments than I, they can help you out fixing it once it looks right in Firefox.

I had issues were my top and bottom margins were doubled in IE6, but were fine in Firefox. Conditional comments for IE took care of my problem. I made sure my style sheet worked good for Firefox, and then created the comments for only what I needed IE to do. Thanks to some of the forum members. It took me a few tries, but I figured it out.