Sharing a drive over a network

Graeme

It depends on the OS...

But basically you should be able to open "My Network Places" and it should show the computers. To the left in XP and Vista there should be a menu to allow different ways of doing it, you can try searching for a PC's name. Also each computer needs to be set up in the network and have a shared folder or folders that they wish to share and have set up for sharing.

We really need to know the Operating System, but we do not use that at work so I can't really go through the steps from here. I use Vista at home so we need someone with the same OS or a good memory.

I am on a vista...

If you go into the networking area, did you use it to create the network? You get asked as I recall if you want to put it on a USB and and then that USB you put into each PC and it automatically sets it up.

Have you done that and it is still not showing? Have you searched for the Computer names? I remember doing that back in school. The group name is exactly the same on each computer?

I don't have allot of experience with networks especially wireless ones. You posted later yesterday so maybe someone will venture by today.

With Win 2K and newer, go to your computer's System Properties, Computer Name and create a Workgroup name and do the same on the other PC. Restart and you are now part of eachother's networks. Next, be sure to 'Share' some folder or use the default Public folders to pass data back and forth. Using a shared drive - right click on the drive and choose the Sharing properties to set it up. If your PC's have passwords, you will need to login remotely the first time and set it to remember. or just login each time...