How to successfullly Submit url search engines or get listed

mat29a

I am a very novice web designer. done a simple page over 1year ago. I have struggled to understand search engines submissions. Read how to use meta tags, keywords etc and included them in the section. tried submit express, submit the url a few times over the year ( which was supposed to submit to most major engines), and nothing listed in google . any advice will be greatly appreciated ! as I guess I still havent got a clue yet.

There could be a number of reason why your pages are not listed....full flash site, keyword spamming, inproper use of semantic codes or lack of, etc.

Here is a couple of tools that can help:

Google Webmaster Tools

Yahoo Site Explorer

Submiting your site to either of these will not help much if your site is not coded properly to the point where it penalizes you instead.

If you like to know if your site is up to speed for search engines, provide us your url so we can take a look.

thanks! I am going to the webmaster tools and explore.

I just found that search engines ignore frames? and my index.html is in a frameset.

I have now renamed it to home.html, and created a new non-frame index.html welcome page which links and loads the framed home.html. Will this be ok? I think I have all the meta tags, keywords etc analysed and checked ok.

There are always issues with frames - if a search engine picks up on the content part of your framed page and links to it, the result will be a portion of the page as you intended it and likely won't have links (as navigation is commonly one part of a framed page).

Best to ditch frames altogether.

thanks. I have got rid of frames my index.html. double checked meta tags, keywords, descriptions, etc.

Run the page through google webmaster tools which seems fine. and re-submitted to search engines via submit express. so far nothing listed. hopefully I see it listed in google sometime at least.. is it true it can take a few months? sorry to sound so naive for a beginner.