create an image as a background

Ant

Let me start off by saying I have found myself being forced into following a clients design wishes after repeated attempts to steer them out of the 80's and away from their bad taste/ideas in design. I was unsucessful and should walk away but...

So I need to create a background thats a parchment scroll. Complete with rolled up ends and gold tassels (it pains me to even continue this website).

So whats the best way to accomplish this. The background will need to expand to fit the content. Do I need to do the following:

3 boxes. One for the top one for the bottom and one for the middle. The top and bottom are the rolled up ends of the paper with the tassels. The middle box is the repeating paper pattern that expands. Then I have to somehow line all the images up so they look like one image.

Thoughts? Whats the best way to accomplish this? I have see some great sites with images but do not know how they did it and made the image expand per content without a simple repeating bg. Heres an example of a site with a similar effect I need to come up with. http://www.levilodge.fi/fi/index.html

Also the paper needs to be on wood. So do the images need to be transparent png's with a drop shadow?

Thanks

A.

Eric's example is a good one. Of course you will have to tweak it to fit your need but based on the example link you gave in your post you will find that their method is very much like Eric's. If you have your firebug tool you can define what images were used and how they were laid out.

I did something similar here with the exception that this one only has a bottom scroll.