Where to "Learn" Web Development

LSW

I have been very vocal here about my opinion of "schooled" learning, basically that just because the school is well known does not make it good. I think, of the "core group" here at KS, I am the only one with actual training. Everyone else started it as a hobby and taught themselves or have education in other fields and then became web developers.

That is just fine, these people are good at what they do because they keep an open mind. My training was in 2000, so is now outdated. I consider any of the core group here as my equals, just as good if not better than myself. But in the job market, I would have a slight edge if we were equals because I "learned" it in school. I might make a bit more as well. Mine are unaccredited certificate from German schools so not really acknowledged.

But if I have learned anything since 2006 when I returned stateside, it is experience no longer matters in the USA, I see regularly job openings requiring an official education, even more and more demanding a Bachelors degree rather than Associate degrees being enough. A fresh graduate will likely be hired over a veteran "self taught" web developer.

So here at KS, we generally see two things:

1. College grads spouting out bad ideas they learned in out dated training.
  2. Members writing asking about "learning web design."

So I have decided we should have a thread for the latter. I will post the school I had chosen in 2006 (but then moved to AK) and why, as well as the school I am looking at now.

If any members have a school the attended or checked out, feel free to add it as well.

One last note folks:

Any degree is better than none. I know of a woman was chosen for an accountant job with the state based on her "German Language" degree. Another woman in the same office with more experience was not chosen, she had no degree at all. So if you have skills that could be taken over into college credits and shorten the time for a degree... do it, regardless of if it is in your chosen career path.

ITT Tech was my choice in 2006. I checked them out and their instructors were people working in the industry of today, not some professor with no real idea what the market wanted. The class was structured to get me an Associates Degree learning those things that the market of the time was looking for in new-hires. I am guessing they do the same today. In my case it would have been a nightly drive of over two hours to school and back, but I had to quit before it started due to a job offer in Alaska, here we have no ITT campus.

I see they are offering these Associate Degrees:

ITT seems to offer a 90 hour degree. Associate degrees usually run two (2) years although depending on the work and time you put into it it could be faster.

AMU (American Military University) is a part of the American Public University System (APUS). It does not require military service and has many foreign students (being online degrees you would not need a student visa).

As far as I can tell it started as a University for teaching Military and public service personnel in Military History, Terrorism, strategic and world politics etc., so subjects of use to military leaders, intelligence agencies etc. It was then reorganized into the current university system and began operating through two brands, AMU and American Public University (APU). So do not let the name ward you off.

My intention was an Associate degree and Bachelor degree and then maybe a Masters degree in Military History. Then I spotted an Associate of Science in Web Publishing degree program. Granted I would like to leave web design and become a history teacher maybe, the fact is I learned web publishing in 2000 and maybe those certificate programs and the last 11 years could account for the Web part and all I need is the usual college required core courses of math, social studies etc. to get all my experience finally in the form of a degree to use to get better jobs and pay.

This is online training to fit around work, family and projects. It seems to be a 62 hour degree. Associate degrees usually run two (2) years although depending on the work and time you put into it it could be faster. You can get up to 40 or so hours credited based on experience and training already gained.

To further yourself they then offer Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (IT) & Master of Science in Information Technology.

Also for those not so into degrees: Undergraduate Certificate in Web 2.0 & Undergraduate Certificate in Web Publishing