Search Button Alignment Just not happening

joecool

Hello all,

I have a social network that I have created using phpfox and I have a problem that in IE7 the search box is out of alignment. I have been racking my brain for about 12 hours (no joke) over the last week trying to get it aligned properly. It is fine in IE8 just not IE7.

The problem is that you can only see the search function if you are a member, so I can't even post a link.

I really need help on this, since my site is now live and I am expecting an influx of visitors when I kick off my marketing next week.

I was wondering if one of the regular experienced posters on here would be able to have a look at it for me and probably use firebug or something to figure out the right place for me to edit and exactly what to change. I have tried, but I just don't seem to be able to do it.

I would give some login details so you could login as a basic user and see the search box.

Help... :(

PM me the login details, and I'll take a look?

One thing you can always do is use a conditional comment, and add a CSS style or two that affects only IE7.

Thanks ben, I will PM you the details now. The conditional comments was exactly what I had in mind but I just couldn't locate where in the template I would put it in so it would appear on every page. I am not great with firebug and don't always know how to find where it is telling me to edit. (I must look up if there are any good firebug videos on Youtube or something. :rolleyes: )

The first thing I would try is adding "float:left" to div#header input#search_field. I'm getting the misalignment in Firefox for the Mac as well, so that may fix IE7. I have to admit though, it looks like whatever script you are using for this site takes all of your CSS files and compresses them with gzip, so I can't really tell you exactly which CSS file includes "div#header input#search_field" -- you'll probably have to search for it.

This might be a useful Firebug video: http://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/15-introduction-to-firebug/

The first thing I would try is adding "float:left" to div#header input#search_field. I'm getting the misalignment in Firefox for the Mac as well, so that may fix IE7. I have to admit though, it looks like whatever script you are using for this site takes all of your CSS files and compresses them with gzip, so I can't really tell you exactly which CSS file includes "div#header input#search_field" -- you'll probably have to search for it.

This might be a useful Firebug video: http://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/15-introduction-to-firebug/

Thanks Ben,

I will play with the float:left option. I have also asked on the forum of the software developers so I am sure I will be able to figure it out soon.

Thanks for taking the time to help.