CSS changes not appearing in my browser

jp612

This is really starting to bug me.... on my localhost when i make large css changes the changes register straight away after clearing cache.

However on my www site when I upload the changes to the server it never registers the changes even after I clear cache. Usually after some time period when I check the changes do register.

I have noticed this with every browser especially IE. Which does it all the time. Other browsers only do it sometimes.

Why does this happen?

It does sound as if it's not a problem with your computer or your coding of the path to the css file because it all works on all browsers eventually.

That points to your hosting service or ISP (I don't know which) because someone may be caching instead of sending the latest file.

The usual test method is to use CTRL+ refresh which should download without looking for a cached version.

Your viewers may not notice a problem if they are downloading the page for the first time, or loading it again after a long period.

I would agree with Wickham, one of the first rules of web design is to set all your browsers to not cache sites. We have all been burned by this at some point. Go into the options and tell the browser to always get a fresh version of the site.

One thing no one has mentioned yet... I have run into situations where the host themselves seems to control when new files are recognized, meaning that new files/changes won't show up immediately. If this is happening to you, and refreshing your browser/clearing your browser's cache doesn't fix it for you, it may be worth talking to your host about it.

I have never had that happen to me before... interesting. I would sure leave them.

I'm not completely sure what was causing it, but I definitely find it annoying. It might have something to do with the fact that I was running ASP.NET and the site had to recompile for it to recognize new files or something... Not really an area that I specialize in, so I could be completely wrong.

That points to your hosting service or ISP (I don't know which) because someone may be caching instead of sending the latest file.

I have actually contacted Godaddy (my hosting) to ask them if there was something on their end but they said it would be all my browsers fault. I have told my Firefox to never cache sites but it still occasionally happens.

Its quite strange because the changes usually register automatically after a while and I often check after reboots (coincidentally).

I dont think its the browser because when I clear cache on my localhost test server the changes always register. Its only when I check online.

Edited by jp612