Static header

Ant

Is it possible to create a static header and have the content below scroll underneath the header?

If so, is it possible to do without frames.

In learning to design websites I thought all that was needed was a container with a position of (X) (possibly :static, not sure ) to accomplish this effect.

My company's web designer is telling me it cant be done without frames and frames are outdated and not to be used.

Thus he's telling me I cant have that option on our company's website.

Thanks

A.

Andrea, my question concerns having a static header without the use of frames.

I was wondering if it can be done without frames and if so is it a good practice in terms of good design etc..

I do not need to know how it's done, just if it can be done and if it's an exceptable practice.

I just don't want to sound misinformed/stupid when I tell the web designer it can be done without frames etc.

With modern browsers you can use position: fixed; top: 0; in the header style and the header won't scroll. You need a background for the header to hide lower content scrolling behind it.

IE6 doesn't process position: fixed, so the header will scroll, but if you want a solution for IE6 then there is a complicated wrapper method shown here:-

http://www.wickham43.net/headerfooterfixexample.php

which uses position: absolute for older browsers with body height: 100% and overflow: hidden for the html style so that the position: absolute header doesn't scroll up and a separate stylesheet in a conditional comment just for IE6 which emulates position: fixed in IE6.