html validation errors

cowboyandy

Good morning, everyone!

Thanks to hints from Andrea, and after several days of reading tutorials and forum posts, I finally got my css validated, and things look the way I want them to...yay! :clap: I'm sure there will be changes as I tweak the template some more, but it feels good to have come this far in a very short period of time.

I'm having trouble, though, getting html validation. I've been able to go from 100+ errors to 47. 24 of those pertain to me putting <hr> into my navigation column - I like the looks of it over just the plain <ul> appearance. Is there a way to make this acceptable using html 4.01?

Also, there are about 40 errors pertaining to embedding some youtube videos, GoDaddy certification, and a counter. After some snooping, it appears that "embed" is acceptable only in html 5? Can someone please give me some direction here - there seem to be numerous "errors" per line with this, and I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

I know both of these items are non-essential to the operation of the site, but I like the appearance with the <hr>s, and the videos, which are on the home page only, say a lot to visitors. Here's the url: www.renttexashillcountry.com.

Guess I have an overall question: how crucial is it to have w3 validation?

To those of you who have been here a while and are keeping us students going, I appreciate ya!

have a great day, and God bless!

Cowboy

My opinion is that if you can make the site validate, great. Ideally, if you are writing clean code and know what you are doing, you shouldn't have a lot of validation errors to fix. I often encourage those who are just getting started with web design to validate since it will help catch coding errors that will inevitably slip in. In many cases, pages that don't display like you think they should can often be fixed by running the validator and looking at the errors it shows.

However... assuming you know what you are doing... I wouldn't consider it the end of the world if it doesn't validate 100% -- this isn't something the visitor will likely check, and as long as it looks ok to them, they probably won't care either way. Some things, like the code commonly used to embed video often won't validate, and the hassle of trying to get it to validate may not be worth it.

I wouldn't worry that much about the embedding of YouTube videos. The GoDaddy certification/counter issues you can probably ignore as well, though I probably should look at the code for those items. I would, however, fix the <hr> issue. You could easily replicate what you are doing with <hr>s by adding a bottom border on some of your navigation <li>s.

Agreed, videos tend to be a validation breaker. Don't sweat it. I also agree with using a bottom border on your navigation. There is a way to do it in CSS using :last child, however I no longer have sites online and none of my stuff at work. So either look it up or maybe someone can post it here.

Personally I would say if you want a line in the navigation, make it look good and just use an image.

As for the videos, ideally they should be captioned for those with hearing difficulties. Others may have a user agent that does not support the media you choose, iPhone/iPad do not support Flash videos. So you should have a text version that repeats what is said on the video. In the case of say CNN, the article generally repeats what is in the video. Maybe not exactly, but close enough so a person gets the gist.