Website design - help please!

derekosullivan

Hi,

I'm in the process of designing my new website. At present I'm using Coffeecup but they cant create forums/blogs properly, especially forums, which are important to me.

Does anyone know if i create my forum/blogs in wordpress or similar and somehow contain this in my site so I get the benefits for SEO etc? (without using hosted blogs that look amateur).

Also, does the web editor effect SEO? If so, should I come away from coffeecup?

Thanks,

Derek.

In a nutshell, you can use Wordpress as a full blown site (including blog). I don't know if there are any forum integration or plugins but you can install a second software for a forum such as phpBB in a different directly. (i.e. www.domain.com/forum/ )

In saying, you are not limited to how many programs you can run on your server so long as you have unlimited mysql databases. (i.e Gallery2, phpBB, Worpress, CMS Made Simple, etc.)

Here are two WP forum plugins you might want to take a look at:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wpforum/

http://simple-press.com/

For non-Wordpress integrated forums, you might want to take a look at phpBB, fluxBB/PunBB, or Vanilla forums.

Also, does the web editor effect SEO? If so, should I come away from coffeecup?

I'm not all that familiar with CoffeeCup, so I'm not sure how much I can comment. In general, I would say the choice of an editor shouldn't greatly affect SEO unless it is producing terrible code (Frontpage, Word.) In my experience, SEO has more to do with the content on the site, title tags and backlinks to the site than the choice of editor.

I would encourage you to learn the actual code that is used to build websites (if you don't know that already), rather than just use a WYSIWYG (What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get) tool that does the coding for you. Knowing how things are coded will help you fix issues that your coding tool has trouble with when you run into trouble.

You can get back links from forum posting, ....

That part, you might want to be careful about - for example, this forum works very hard to keep out spam and spammers, and posting back links just to improve your own SEO is against the rules.