Web Design 1

ralph33

Hi, I am working in Web Design 1 lesson 10.Which is about makeing pages. When I open the

web page with internet explorer all the pages come up individually and look ok. When I try

to move from page to page I get an error message for the browser saying it cannot display

the page. I think I put the correct link info in the code page.

This is what I have in the code:

index page:

<div id="navigation">

<ul>

<li>Home</li>

<li><a href="productList.html">Products</a></li>

<li><a href="css.html">CSS</a></li>

<li><a href="tables_tutorial.html">Tables Tutorial</a></li>

</ul>

</div>

TablesTutorial Page:

<div id="navigation">

<ul>

<li><a href="index.html">Home</a></li>

</ul>

</div>

ProductList Page:

<div id="navigation">

<ul>

<li><a href="index.html">Home</a></li>

</ul>

</div>

I can't see a mistake. I am new at this and it is probably something simple. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Ralph

Check that all the pages are in the same folder.

Check that the lower case and upper case is the same in the filename as in the link. For instance ProductList.html is not the same as productList.html

Hi Wickham: Thanks for the info. I did indeed have some problems as you mentioned and corrected them. Still have the same problem. When I try to switch pages it indicates that it has switched but the browser still says it cannot display it. I even copied the example from the course files and have the same problem with that. I am sure the code is correct there. Possibly there is something that the browser needs to make it work.

Ralph

You may also want to check that your files aren't accidentally named like this: file.html.txt. If you are using Windows, Windows sometimes hides the file extension by default.

Take a look here for more info/instructions: http://www.killersites.com/community/index.php?/topic/3010-cant-open-my-website/page__gopid__16509entry16509

You may also want to check that your files aren't accidentally named like this: file.html.txt. If you are using Windows, Windows sometimes hides the file extension by default.

Take a look here for more info/instructions: http://www.killersites.com/community/index.php?/topic/3010-cant-open-my-website/page__gopid__16509entry16509

That was the problem.I can now switch pages ok. The box you mentioned was indeed checked. When I looked first, the ext were such as index.html.html. After I unchecked all was ok.

I suspected it was a windows problem. Actually having problems like this is a good thing in that it forces me to dig into it.

Thanks very much for your help. I can now carry on with my lessons.

Ralph