Stupid Question

JRFlurry

I know this is gonna sound probably really dumb but I'm still a total noob at all of this. How can I back up my site in case anything goes wrong? I get nervous installing mods and such because if my site goes down I'm screwed. After investing over 200 hours in site building that would make for a really bad day!! haha. I don't know if it makes any difference but my site is basically a forum built with SMF 2.0 RC3. If you wanna look at the site itself its in my signature. Thanks for any help you can give!!

I would FTP into your live site and download all the files to your computer. You can use FileZilla to ftp to your site.

After that, you will need to export your database and download it. If you are using host you can probably access phpmyadmin via your host's control panel and export from there.

Keep in mind that a good hosting company would have a backup of your files and database up to 7 days back. If not, you might want to look for another.

As for you question being dumb, it's not dumb at all. It makes you pretty smart to ask. It's only dumb if you didn't ask.

Young Frankenstein... know the movie? Well Doc Frankenstein sends Igor to get a specific brain, which he then drops. So he covers it up by grabbing a new brain. So the Monster is not real bright and he asks about the brain so Igor has to admit he dropped it, so he took the brain of a woman named Abby Normal... or Abnormal... tongue.gif

Whenever someone points out that they are asking a stupid question I think of that. The two just connect in my mind. I guess to me it illustrates how people are individuals and see things differently, ones Abnormal is another ones Abby Normal.

So is asking how to back up a site dumber than not doing it and losing everything?

Yes, for me it would be a stupid question, I have been doing this since 1999, I should know it already. But for a new person, how are the to know until someone tells them? I new nothing in 1998 and early 1999 too, I was taught and questions were asked.

So ask questions, that is why we spend our lives here, helping you all for free when we could be working or playing with the kids, all with the expectation that when another newby comes and asks a "stupid" question, you will tell them the answer and point out not asking is dumber than not knowing. All of us here started from scratch... and all of us here enjoy watching those who asked "Stupid Questions" answering the new folks a year later and explaining that it is not stupid. it is just grabbing Abby Normal's brain.