Browser compatibility testing

daddyalfie

At the risk of being vastly redundant... :rolleyes:

Two points:

1) the search feature on Killersites seems very "unspecific". i.e. when I typed in "Browser compatibility tester" I got ALL posts with any of the words mentioned. Is the search capable of using Boolean characters?

2) How DO you guys test for browser compatibility?

Thanks guys!

Alfie

Hmm...I never used this forum's search and after doing so I was bit disappointed in the results. More importantly, I don't see any advanced search options anywhere.

As for browser testings, I usually install all the software for each including IE6, IE7 and IE8. I also have Firefox 3.x, Safari and Chrome. I'm not a big fan of Browser Shots (whatever it's called) because I really need to quickly see my changes in seconds and not minutes.

There is an advanced search (http://www.killersites.com/community/index.php?app=core&module=search). I'm just not sure where to put it in the theme.

As far as browser testing goes, I have a Mac, so I test on Firefox/Safari/Opera/Chrome on it. I then run Windows in a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion (or Parallels/Bootcamp works as well) to test in IE. I usually test IE6,7,8 with my main focus being on 7 & 8 (though it depends on the site's audience). I still check IE6, but unless it's a specific requirement that it is pixel perfect, I don't make a bit deal about minor differences in IE6 compared to other browsers. Technically, I probably should be running the different versions of IE in separate virtual machines, but that's a bit of a pain. I'm using MultipleIEs to run multiple versions of IE on the same machine at the moment.

EDIT: I've put a link to the advanced search on the search results page next to the pagination. That way, users who search and don't find what they want should see it and can do a more specific search. That said, I agree, I haven't been particularly impressed with the forum's search functionality. Don't think I can do much about that though.

HMM!

Maybe my question was not so redundant after all!

So where can I download earlier versions of IE?

I too used the "screen-shots" which showed IE7 not understanding anything except body {background: #333;} :angry: "<div id="wrapper"> attributes were all ignored!

IE will eventually shape up or go away!

FIREFOXES OF THE WORLD UNITE! JOIN THE REVOLUTION!!

Alfie