Typography Drop-Shadow

daddyalfie

I believe this topic may have been discussed before, but after a diligent search I have not found an answer.

How do I add a drop-shadow to a heading? I know I can do it in a graphics program like PhotoShop, but that negates the value of a <h1> header!

I suspect the answer is: "you don't with current CSS!"

:angry:

Alfie

The answer is "you can't with current CSS". It is part of CSS3, but not all browsers support it yet. Firefox/Safari/Opera/Chrome do, but as far as I know IE doesn't (even IE8).

http://owltastic.com/2009/12/shadows-and-css3/

http://maettig.com/code/css/text-shadow.html

My personal opinion is that you can use this, as long as it is intended to be a minor effect. If your text requires the drop shadow in order to be readable, I wouldn't use this (since obviously IE users won't be able to read it).

Otherwise, you're stuck with using an image within an h1 tag, and using either alt/title tags on that image. I'm not totally sure how that affects SEO, but I would assume that plain text is more effective than using an image with alt/title text.

Holy mackerel dere Andy!

Amazing! I first tried just "text-shadow: (etc)" and in FF it works just dandy (Actually amazingly!)

@Eric those samples are equally amazing. I shall study those further!

In my case the "text-shadow" will work just fine: it will be only an enhancement to an otherwise acceptable design.

Doing a "happy dance" here

:D

Effusive thanks!

Alfie

Edited by daddyalfie