Extending line down

youngros

If your right column is always going to be longer than #content, I would put the border on that and make it a little wider.

Otherwise you could add some padding-bottom to #content which will push the border down, but also give you a gap if the right column gets longer than it presently is.

I would suggest creating a div that wraps #content and #rightcolumn, and then giving that a repeating background image that simulates the border. That way, it will stretch/collapse with the length of the content, and you won't be relying on either the #content or the #rightcolumn to be long enough.

An alternative to Lynne's suggestion of using padding is to use a min-height on #content, to ensure it is always as long or slightly longer than the #rightcolumn, but keep in mind that IE6 doesn't support it (though there are hacks/fixes for that)

As the main page will alter length depending on the data I have decided to go with the min-height option.

I know it is probably wrong, but IE8 has been around for a while and it is bad enough now getting used to that without having to worry about IE6. Stats show that around 10% are still using IE6, but 90% are not. Times move on and it's a personal site.