ASP.NET for engineering calcs?

BillOntario

Question

I am a 58 year old senior thermal power and cogeneration engineer recently out of work.  I’ve always wanted to automate lots of calculations and find it limiting what I can do with the tools I have. 

I’ve made pipe sizing application using Excel with VBA and forms.  It works well and my colleagues use it some.  But when I started to implement some things from my wish list of improvements, I found that with the data input table and results table and calculations all together was making me crazy.  Then I understood the reason for what I read about separate input/output presentation layer, business logic layer and database. Excel was useful because inputs and outputs are in tables and it has tables built-in.  But there must be a better way, and I can use Excel format for output if needed.

My goal is to develop engineering applications with reusable code.  The web is just a way of deploying what I want to make, but I could deploy other ways or just use for my own calculations.  I just don’t want to write the code over again for different platforms.

I’m thinking that ASP.NET would be a better choice than PHP Linux, since I could use the same backend engineering calculation code for Excel or corporate intranets.  Companies likely have intranets with .NET Framework, so I could offer my services to make custom web apps for their teams, and reuse the same backend software.

I’m partial to functional programming, so F# with Visual Studio seems good. 

I have no intention of learning C, C++, Python, Java, etc.

Does it make sense that Windows hosting would be the best choice for me? 

I just want to learn one framework, since I don’t plan to be a freelance developer or to work for a company.

1 answer to this question