Validation errors

daddyalfie

I just validated the html of a website of mine and found a whopping 152 errors! After my jaw had stopped bouncing on the keyboard, :o, I discovered that almost all were due to "Nonstandard SMGL characters 147, 148, 133, etc. These were ordinary quotation or apostrophes within normal

paragraphs.

My doctype is as follows, and is something I just copy-paste as I don't really understand what the gobbeldygook means!

Is this a setting on my computer that generates improper characters?

I received the text from the client as Word documents, which I then copy-paste into notepad for HTML coding.

HepMe!

Alfie

It sounds as if the Word characters for " and ' which carry special effects have not been "cleaned" by copying into Notepad.

I have also had situations where I have had to re-type them individually in Notepad to clean them.

I don't think the doctype has anything to do with the problem.

Edited by Wickham

Yes, Word will do that to you every time. I always paste the content into Notepad prior and I always paste into the HTML view rather than Code view so I can catch the mistakes before it messes everything up. smile

Eh? "I always paste the content into Notepad prior "

Explaineth pleath :D

(Has to do with Dremweaver?)

Alfie

Edited by daddyalfie

Eh? "I always paste the content into Notepad prior "

Explaineth pleath big_smile

Sorry. :D Prior to pasting the text into the program, I paste it into Notepad first and then copy it from there. This will strip out all the formatting from Word and make it plain text.

Hmmm!

That is exactly what I have been doing, until recently!

The last couple of times I have taken the notepad version of the text, added the HTML coding and THEN pasting it all into the web page.

I also noted that I have charset=iso-8859-1 specified rather than utf-8 as TKG suggested.

Hmmmm!

Edited by daddyalfie