Beginner's Issue Reading HTML on a MAC

kungfutastic

TextEdit defaults to a "rich text" mode, which may be giving you problems.

To fix it:

-- open up TextEdit

-- go the the Preferences

-- Make sure you are using the "plain text" option

I believe that should take care of your issue. You may need to copy/paste your old files into new, plain text files to get it to work. And make sure you are saving your files as .html, of course.

Guest Michael foden

I am having the same problem :( and I followed your advice :) now it's not letting me save as an html ??? Is there any way around this ?? Plez help been pullin my hair out for an houre now :( THANX :)

now it's not letting me save as an html ???

Can you be more specific? Are you getting an error message? From the "Save as" dialog, just type in your file name, and remove the ".txt" and replace it with ".html" If you get a popup asking if you are sure you want to change the file extension, make sure you select "use .html".

Also, if you were previously using the rich text format, you can't simply open those files up within TextEdit and save them and expect everything to be fine. You'll need to open up a new, plain text file, copy and paste your code from the old file to the new (this removes all the rich text formatting) and then save the new file as .html.

...I may as well mention, there are a lot of better free alternatives for writing HTML code on the Mac... TextWrangler and Smultron are both good alternatives that will give you code highlighting and other useful functions. My personal favorite is Coda, though that is a paid app.

You might need to also check the following boxes in the "Open and Save" - as Ben told you

-- open up TextEdit

-- go the the Preferences

-- go to Open and Save

Check ignore rich text commands in HTML files

Check ignore rich text commands in RTF files

Uncheck add ".txt" extension to plain text files

Then you can fill in your HTML options from the drop down menus

Remember these changes only apply to new files, as Ben explained, previous files saved in Rich text format will need to be copied and pasted into a new file and then saved.