Windows 7 .. has anyone used it?

administrator

Hi,

I am hearing a lot of good stuff about Windows 7 from a few nerd friends of mine:

- it is much faster.

- loads and shuts down faster.

- lighter than XP in terms of the install.

- gets rid of all the stupid Vista security problems.

Has anyone here used Windows 7 yet?

Stefan

I have not used it but, like you, I hear nothing but good things and most of those who said that are primarily either current XP users, current Vista users or XP users that reverted back from Vista.

Even one Mac user was impressed.

I have pre-ordered mine. According to Newegg.com, it set to release on 10/22. I will be loading this up on another partition (dual boot) to test it myself. If I don't like what I see I can always boot up to my XP.

I will be loading this up on another partition (dual boot) to test it myself. If I don't like what I see I can always boot up to my XP.

Good idea.

I use VMWare Workstation on my XP box to run software test and surf the Web. Using a virtual machine is like having a dual boot, since the virtual machine is totally isolated from the parent OS.

I also use Mac for my day-to-day work because it is just so much more stable.

-

I tried Vista when it came out ... and I ran the other way.

Stefan

Just my luck that my 2002 XP computer started having serious registry problems last year (goes into ultra-slow mode occasionally, won't get Windows updates and I've lost my sound) so I had to buy a new Vista PC.

I suppose I might soon upgrade it to WIN 7 (although I haven't had any serious problems with Vista).

As a rough outline, what would I have to do to change the OS? (and how much would it cost me?)

I think the upgrade path is cheaper than it used to be. Microsoft is taking it on the chin these past two years and they just reported bad numbers.

... Expect a nice discount.

Define a nice discount? From what I have last heard is that it's $199 for the upgrade and $299 for the full version. I was able to get the upgrade for $99 (pre-buy special).

I believe Newegg are having a special on Vista. I think the 32bit is a mere hundred bucks but that also comes with free upgrade of Windows 7.

Edited by newseed

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that if you do purchase Windows 7, keep in mind that there is no upgrade for XP users. According to MS, you will have to do a full install. That means you need to backup all your files, install 7 and then install all your other software. That includes creating all your settings and accounts such as email, desktop setting, etc.

So in a nutshell, if you are using XP, you will not be able to install 7 over it.

For Vista users, upgrade is not a problem.